Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Condensed Version of What I've Been Trying to Communicate

Feminism
  • Few people who talk about feminism and motherhood (specifically, none of the commentors on the post about child-free woman-only beaches in Italy) consider for one minute that a woman might LIKE to have her kids around, that she might actually arrange her time so that she CAN spend it with them (whether she chooses to work outside of the home or not), and that she doesn't consider them an impediment to her enjoyment of life.
  • It may be (as Anastasia notes) that people are afforded too much child-free space, leading to the opinion that children are little obscenities ad should be hidden until they reach an acceptable age.
  • Within feminism certain choices are affirmed, but others are not--because they’re driven by so-called "outdated ideologies."
  • Not having a child at all--or certainly not having more than one--is considered by many to be the "enlightened" choice.
  • Individuals who consider themselves "feminists" very rarely speak out against how the most vocal and most politically active "feminists" wish to portray themselves.
  • Feminism is an ideology that is loosely based at best.
  • Feminism strongly suggests that certain behaviors are appropriate in certain situations, and it does suggest that the woman look out for #1 without considering much else, really.
  • I consider "feminism" to be distinct from "women's rights." The former label does not afford much besides political baggage and free-associations.
  • Feminism states: Any woman who is pro-woman is feminist (as long as she is pro-woman in a way we like). That way, feminism makes sure that it can claim to be all encompassing (within limits).
  • Feminism is about women's rights to have rights. It doesn't matter what the rights are or whether they're right by any standard--objective or otherwise. Rather, it seems to be looking for something prohibited to claim as a right. Maybe feminism itself is in crisis due to this lack of a unified cause.
  • Pro-motherhood feminism always includes the caveat that the motherhood shouldn't really interfere with one's convenience--hence the emphasis on children being "planned."
  • In order to subscribe to an ideology--to a belief system of any kind--I have to have a good idea, first of all, of the tenets of that belief system, and second of all, I have to be able to accept those tenets.
  • While feminism has certainly afforded us choice, I maintain that it has affirmed one choice (many choices, actually) over its (their) alternative(s).
  • It is perfectly acceptable for a feminist to condemn--implicitly or explicitly--the choices of a woman who bases her choices on so-deemed "patriarchal institutions," such as Christianity, for example. Her choices and her intelligence are thus judged in one fell swoop.
Children in Academia
  • In academia, it is possible to make one's schedule family friendly.
  • Children might even accompany the parent to office hours, etc.
  • Research can be done in the presence of children.
  • The presence of children does not preclude intellectual activity.
The Presence of Children
  • Children don't have to be relegated to the care of others. It all depends on our perception of where they belong, with what they interfere.
  • The idea that children need to, can and should make room for women's own goals is something that feminism has fought hard to achieve.
  • The assumptions that children are a burden, make life difficult, and should be relegated to a space apart from one's career are assumptions that accompany women's presence in the workplace.
  • We need to acknowledge that children can co-exist with parental ambition, and that difficult situations involving children can turn into occasions of triumph.
  • Individual choices concerning what to do with children might differ from what they are currently if an atmosphere conducive to children were more pervasive.
  • Some of our opinions on this subject are influenced by the fact that children are not well-tolerated in certain situations. I'm not sure why this is so offensive a point. To extend--we might have more options if children were better tolerated.
  • It would be infinitely simpler to send my children to daycare, so I must have reasons for what I do, and those reasons are not affirmed by any of the theories or ideologies promoted in academia.
  • I advocate the idea that the presence of children need not be regarded as a burden. The idea that children ruin one's life and career goals is unfortunate and pervasive. So if I can, in a small way, make people think about the presence or absence of children from our lives and our spaces in a different way than how they are accustomed to thinking, I am satisfied.
Rhetoric
  • There is a difference between saying, "this is what's best for me" and saying, "I do things this way because I believe that my method is preferable." My statement that it is my belief that my method is preferable does not preclude logic and reasoning, and my beliefs on this subject are indeed based on logic and reasoning (not prejudice or even-- horrors!--faith.), as are most of the things I believe.
  • The expression of the belief that all children benefit from being around their parents while they are young, or of any of the other opinions that I have expressed, does not infringe on anyone’s right to do anything. Rather, the expression of that belief is intended to make people consider possible bases and consequences of such a belief, and perhaps see that I am advocating a change in attitude that might make such choices more frequent and available to more people.
  • Saying that my choices are different, not influenced by the prevailing mindset, and that it would be nice if the prevailing mindset were different does not say that my choices are best for everyone, or that I want everyone to choose like me. Hell! If I said that, I’d have to put up with everyone else’s little monsters!! ;)

7 comments:

mrsdarwin said...

Nice summation. I've been enjoying your recent posts on this.

Literacy-chic said...

Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

very nice! Thanks for this.

LilyBug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Literacy-chic said...

Should I even bite? Probably not.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I'd ignore it; seems like she's trolling.

Literacy-chic said...

My thoughts exactly!