Sunday, July 29, 2007

Today's Surprises

1) I was surprised today that I had no fewer than 4 text messages from my mom when I turned on my phone after Mass.

2) My mom was surprised today by a representative from her mortgage company trying to change the locks on her house--she made him go away for now. . .

3) I was surprised that my favorite yummy pizza buffet place has raised their prices. We used to get a lunch buffet for $4.25. Now, it's $8.00. :(

4) I was surprised today to learn that a friend of mine from high school Speech & Debate is running for Louisiana State Representative. Well okay, not too surprised. But I was surprised when he offered to help my mom find a job if he could!

5) I was surprised today when asked in the grocery store by my son's former Religious Education teacher, from whom I had taken Communion only hours earlier, if this baby was going to be my last. I think I surprised both of us when I said, "And what kind of a Catholic would I be if I said 'yes'?"

6) I was surprised to learn that Chris has given me an award! (More on that later.) I was even more surprised, given what the award was, to find out that it was given to him!!

7) I have been surprised all weekend by the number of responses on Jen's post on ambitious women and staying at home. I was surprised to find myself in agreement with the anonymous poster that caused Jen to disallow anonymous posts. I was also surprised to find myself defending stay-at-home moms from the accusation that they were trying to find company in their misery. No really, I was surprised by that! I was not too surprised to see the conversation devolve into the "you think you know what's best for everyone" type of dialogue. That kind of thing just happens too often.

8) I was surprised not to be able to think of 3 more surprising things. I really wanted to make it 10. . .

9) I wasn't really surprised when my husband went on a cleaning spree. He does that kind of thing from time to time--much more often than I do.

10) I was surprised when he hurt a muscle cleaning and said it was divine retribution because I'm not fulfilling my womanly role. You see, I've been telling him about Jen's post! ;)

4 comments:

LilyBug said...

Too bad about the pizza buffet. From 4.25 to 8...that's an increase! And for lunch??? They haven't done that here. Hmmm....

I read Jen's post about the ambitious mother and agree with you that it is a pity that the conversation devolved into something nasty. You're right; that's the way it goes when the topic of stay-at-home moms comes up. Something that was not mentioned (and that rarely gets discussed) are the women who feel they have no choice but to work. It seems like we assume that all women with careers choose to avidly follow those careers which may not always be necessarily the case. Women who work because they feel they have to experience a whole range of emotions and the decision to work is not always easy. Oh well. I was surprised at the woman who will not "tempt" herself with a career by reading professional journals, etc. That just seemed kind of strange to me. Being a stay-at-home mom doesn't mean you should remove yourself from your own interests. In fact, its comments like hers that lead to posts from the all-to-wise Anonymous.

By the way, sorry about the deleted comments. I'm still trying to figure out how to sign in with my account as opposed to "John"'s.

chrisa511 said...

This is just too many surprises for one day! I think your mom is adjusting well to the world of text messaging ;)

I can't believe the buffet went up that much! That's almost double the price! Hmmm...if it's the place I'm thinking of, it all makes since now..DOUBLE the price...it's all a conspiracy! Sorry, lack of sleep.

You're very much deserving of your award :) Glad that I had the opportunity to give it to you. Though I don't know if I should be offended or flattered that I received it. I'll be flattered ;)

Literacy-chic said...

To be fair, it didn't increase that much all at once. But until a week ago, two adult buffets and one child buffet were around $16--not $21!!

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Great list.

Yes, there have been a lot of surprises coming from my combox lately.