Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What is it about 10-year-olds?

Perhaps the most daunting parenting challenge I am facing, will continue to face, and making me wonder how I will cope with 3 children is the behavior of my 10-year-old. I have always thought that he was pretty well-behaved. He does reasonably well in school, though not without a heavy dose of laziness, frustration, and know-it-all behavior. He is generally polite to others. He is definitely opinionated and expresses opinions loudly and obnoxiously. He certainly thinks he is an adult--or as good as. This is very troubling sometimes--and a matter of pride others, I'm ashamed to admit. But increasingly, he is very disrespectful in subtle ways. He pretends not to know what I mean when I ask him to clean up. "I want you to tidy up the nurs. . . (attempt at humor--Mary Poppins reference) . . . I mean, living room!!" "What? we don't have a nursery! Living room? We don't have a living room!' My patience sorely tested--"Are you really too stupid to know what I mean by 'living room'?" Yes, I know, likely the wrong tactic. Eventually, he pretends to catch my meaning, after I ask if he would like to clean up the living room and then proceed to his room for the rest of the day. These things are daily occurrences. Sometimes they are executed more like jokes on his part, which makes them more bearable, but no less irritating. Told to stop whatever irritating thing he is doing--some repetitive noise, like violently squeaking a toy--he continues for several more times before finally stopping, usually prompted by a glare. Or if I shoot one of those Mommy-glares "You know what you're doing is wrong" in his direction, he responds with a mock-scared, high-pitched squeal and convulsions, which I have told him repeatedly infuriate me more than whatever he was doing int he first place. However, ignoring the offending behavior does not seem to work, either. And so I have to deal with this on top of the toddler, and the pregnancy, and I can only imagine it continuing after the birth of the new baby.

And then, there is the brother-sister dynamic. Now, he clearly loves his little sister. He is clearly thankful to have her. And he has been looking forward to the new one steadily since I told him--proudly noticing when I'm getting rounder, etc. His enthusiasm has been slightly dampened by not having anyone to tell who will get excited, but only slightly dampened. (Actually, I have been very disappointed by my extended family's reaction--my aunt, whom my mother has told repeatedly that I am pregnant, will only respond with a "Yes, you told me." Hmph.) But the attitude he adopts towards the toddler is that of an overzealous prison-warden. Or he treats her like an animal or a toy, manhandling her at will in the name of "play." He will correct her under my nose as if I can't see what she's doing, or as if he is more capable. Now I do remember my mother correcting us for these same errors, I just don't remember it being so bad. I am on the verge of declaring it a hot-sauce punishable offense if the words "No" or the baby's name escape his lips with certain derogatory emphasis!!

I don't want to punish this repetitive mockery, etc., severely. It is the cumulative effect rather than the individual acts that are problematic, and yet, some days it reduces me to tears. In part because I do not want to yell, scream, punish. I do not want to feel frustrated, out of control, violent. I do not, in short, want to turn into my mother, or for my family's dynamic to be that of my family when we were growing up--you know, what I've mentioned fearing about having a big family?? I don't want to constantly be breaking up fights, stupidly dangerous play, wrestling, to deal with the baby's protests when she clearly doesn't want him to do what he's doing--some of the same things that I have to do when my son interacts with my youngest brother (but better not to go there. . .). I can't even handle two, how will I handle three? How will I handle three, especially, with patience and love? I just don't see it. Perhaps having two closer together, they will interact better with each other. I don't know.

The pressing problem right now is with the oldest, but it makes the prospect of 3 fearful. He is taking on little tiny dribbles of responsibility intermittently, but causing more problems than ever in the grand scheme of things. When the damage is done and I am distraught and on the verge of tears for no reason that he can possibly imagine (and I don't want him to feel guilty, since part of the problem is my own perceived inadequacy), he becomes quite compassionate. This, of course, doesn't really help. I've always been told how well-behaved he is, and mostly I've been inclined to agree. But lately. . . I just don't know. His harassing of the toddler, alternated with policing her, or complaining about her movements, location, sounds and smells (a dirty diaper apparently induced convulsions this afternoon, before he indicated a desire to attempt to change said diaper!), wears me thin. Is it age? A pre-preteen thing? Jealousy? Not knowing quite how to position himself between adults and a baby? When I was 10, I had 3 sisters. Very different.

I know, not my most cerebral post. And so I'm not misunderstood, I do basically think he's a very good, smart child. Just increasingly obnoxious. :( I find myself longing uncharacteristically for the start of school without believing that it will remedy the situation.

7 comments:

mrsdarwin said...

After years of toddler behavior frustration, especially in public places like church, my girls have finally seemed to "get" what I've been trying to pound into their heads. Now they'll sit quietly (or moderately quietly -- I don't expect perfection at the age) and try to follow along. It was a long hard slog to get to this point, and we still have other behavior issues, but I feel like I've done something right somewhere. Sounds like you're dealing with the pre-teen, more cognizant version of the toddler trials.

I don't think that most kids are actively playing head games with their mothers. But it's hard, from that end, to fully realize the stresses and frustrations of being a mother, and why mom flies off the handle at stupid things. I do remember my dad correcting us instantly and sternly whenever he thought we were taking a tone. And he was probably right to do so, even though at the time it seemed like overkill. Eventually we started watching how we phrased things or what voice we used, because it was less bother than getting in trouble.

Also, don't underestimate how much real help a ten-year-old can be with a newborn, or what a maturing process it can be to take care of younger siblings. After all, he is growing older by the day.

mrsdarwin said...

As I read it over, it looks like I've posted the most incoherent comment ever. Sorry, long day...

Literacy-chic said...

Absolutely not! It's a good comment! Thanks! :)

Unknown said...

You are definitely dealing with a pre-teen boy thing here. Your son sounds a lot like my youngest brother was three years ago, when he was ten. He has improved some since then. I am also starting to see the beginning of this type of behavior in my own son who is 9. I'm afraid I don't have any advice but you are not alone.

I expect I will be doing a lot of praying about my sons behavior in the next few years.

Anna

Darwin said...

Fooo. Doesn't sound like any fun.

I seem to recall being insufferable in similar ways (by turns, though not constantly) at that age. I seem to recall my mother exclaiming a few times, "The last thing I need in this house is a 10-year-old teenager." Though by the time I actually hit 13, things had much improved.

It's awkward because it's getting into the age when straightforward punishment is as likely to result in a lasting adversarial situation as improvement, and yet still too young to consistently apply the behavior you basically know you ought to have. Plus (at least as I recall) so much energy that one constantly got in trouble for just messing around.

I know that I eventually came around. I think it was mostly through a combination of the passage of time and occasional long term exiles to my room for open defiance.

Literacy-chic said...

Thanks, Anna and Darwin! I was out of the house by the time my brothers were 10, so maybe that's why I don't really remember 10 being a tough age! Interesting that it seems to improve by 13--not what I would have expected! I guess by that time the common sense catches up with the intelligence and will--at least for a couple of years! Just writing about it helped a bit--it kind of took the edge off of the frustration a bit. And that's one of the things I have invested in literacy theory, actually--I'm trying to show how reading & writing are represented as coping mechanisms. (Small dissertation plug.) So we have good days & bad days. I liked what Mrs. Darwin had to say about the "more cognizant version of toddler traits"--that makes sense to me!! So I have a BIG toddler and a little toddler!! Oh no!! ;)

Entropy said...

Great comments so far. I thought I'd throw my .02 cents in...

My dd is 9 and kinda the same way but girls and boys are a little different. I have a bad habit of getting sucked in with her and arguing but I've gotten better. It sounds like he's just trying to push your buttons to me. If it were my dd doing that I'd just say 'ok, after the living room you can clean the bathroom too' and so on until she towed the line. I just have to not engage her at all but at the same time show my dissatisfaction with her behavior.