Saturday, April 26, 2008

Where Do You Find the Fabric???

I've been doing a lot of sewing lately. I made two dresses for Chiclette, one for Doodle, dug out lots of patters, I have a cute top cut out for myself, piles of fabric everywhere--you get the basic idea. I have still been doing other things--I went to my department 3 times for meetings this week and once to pick up the unsold blanket (green) that my Doodle promptly claimed as her very own (though she took it off of her bed to cover her little sister before we left the house this afternoon!). I need to revise some handouts for next week, revise a dissertation abstract and conclude a conclusion. Sewing is for when I need to de-stress or be creative. So doing a little bit of non-productive web searching earlier, I discovered the most incredible magazine with oodles of patterns in every issue! It's called Ottobre and is published in Finland. The clothing design is really amazing. If I could sew all of the time, I would have no need to buy clothes for myself or the girls again--ever. That is, if I could find good fabric!! Because the styles are fashionable, but there's no matching the quality of fabrics that the better manufacturers can get their hand on. At least, not that I've found. Please, if someone knows something I don't, let me know!!!!

1 comment:

Sarah Reinhard said...

I wish you lived closer. In our "free time" I would enlist you to teach me, Oh Great One, the wonders of sewing. I have a machine my mom gave me, but...I just don't know how to use it! (I know, I know, I should just tackle it.)

Anyway, my mom, the sewer, finds fabric (don't know how fashionable) at thrift stores sometimes. She has made Muffet some great dresses using it. And my gran, who is a great sewer (not so much lately, but in the past), has a whole closet of material. I think it's like yarn for the knitting folk - you collect it and save it and pull it out when it's "right".