Sunday, April 27, 2008

Not Teaching Sci Fi

The class didn't make--probably because History decided to schedule ALL of their summer courses at the same time as the Sci Fi. So FOUR of our summer classes didn't make. But that's okay. I'll be teaching another of my favorite "not really considered literature" genres: children's lit. And this will be REALLY fun, since many who are taking it will be doing so as part of their Education degrees--but I plan to teach it as literature, with theory & everything. ;)

Here are the texts:

The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature


Considering Children's Literature: A Reader


The Invention of Hugo Cabret
by Brian Selznik

3 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Bummer about the sci-fi course but that's an equally cool class and isn't Hugo Cabret an awesome book? I love it! Ok....I haven't actually read it yet :p But I've thumbed through it quite a few times and it's gorgeous. There's another author who's been doing similar things for years named Shaun Tan. His books aren't near as long though. They're normal picture books, though his new one is about 100 pages and is called The Arrival and it tells a story of immigration with absolutely no words and the most amazing illustrations I've seen. And it's not your typical immigration story...quite beautiful. I loved it.

Literacy-chic said...

That sounds very cool. I'll have to check it out!! I plan to linger a while on the picture book section. I LOVE them!! And the Norton Anthology (co-edited by one of my former profs) has an entire section on picture-books, with selections from my favorite Chris Van Allsburg book--The Mysteries of Harris Burdick.

I haven't read Hugo Cabret yet either--though my son has! (I really need a tag for him!) And there's so much to talk about in terms of genre. Truthfully, I probably feel better prepared to teach children's lit. All in all, it could have been much worse. This will be fun!!

Dewey said...

I am SO HAPPY you're teaching Hugo Cabret! It was one of my favorite books of last year. I wish I could take your class.