Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Not a Baby Anymore. . .

This evening we were taken out for dinner by my brother, who proposed that we go to Olive Garden, as he had never been, then unexpectedly treated us all! We were seated at a round table--four of us in chairs, one high chair, and one "sling" to hold a baby carseat/carrier--in what felt to me like the middle of the way. As we had had an unusual amount of attention paid to us by other patrons one of the last times we were there, I was hoping for a more out-of-the way place, and even asked the hostess pointedly if this wasn't rather a high traffic area. She didn't bite. So we got settled--Doodle and Chiclette placed together for some odd reason. We had been sitting for a little while when a party of two elderly couples passed by to be seated. I heard a grandmotherly Texas drawl say, "Hang on a minute. I want to check out this little one!" (Chiclette was closest to the side on which they passed.) So she stooped to look at Chiclette and murmured some words about how cute she was while my husband & I smiled obligingly. Looking across the table, I caught sight of Doodle's face. Now she is a prettier-than-average toddler, though I say this with not a little maternal bias. She is frequently admired alongside Chiclette--if not before Chiclette!--when people trouble to admire either of them at all. So there was my pretty Doodle, looking at her sister, and looking at the woman, with a little shy smile and shining, smiling eyes. The woman made a parting remark to me about the baby being beautiful, then turned and walked away. Doodle's expectant eyes seemed to question, and then darken as her little spirit was let down after expecting a friendly word to be turned to her. I know it's a little thing, really. I don't want her to expect always to receive attention, by any means. But it was sad to see this realization in her sweet face--that she was not noticed. At all. A small hurt--but not small compared to her stature and her experience of the world. And it broke my heart. Then the breadsticks came.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

moments like that always make me sad. the first time a little girl told Kizzy she didn't want to play with her was one of those moments for me. I think I blogged about it because it made me cry that she was so hurt.

this scene--people notice the baby and overlook the toddler--is very familiar except that Kizzy will just shout out WHAT ABOUT ME?!?! which people (inexplicably) think is cute about 90% of the time. It almost always gets a laugh, which means I can't readily get her to stop, she gets so much attention and positive reinforcement for it.

LilyBug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LilyBug said...

Sorry, I had to delete that last comment because I accidentally used names. But, as I said...

I think you're right. Doodle is prettier than your average child. As the mother of a prettier than average child, myself, I can say this with certainty. Hee-hee.

LilyBug said...

Oh, I can also sympathize with Anastasia. I think I would have cried too had someone said that to Lily. Needless to say, I do not look forward to those times when Lily will show hurt feelings with another because of something that is beyond her control. It's one thing to see your child hurt over something that is necessary (like a medical procedure meant to fix a problem or make baby better), but I imagine it is quite another to see your child hurt by another person's heedless actions whether those actions are intentional or not. Ah...such is the way of the world.