Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dissertation Defense Protocol

If I have not already communicated the fact that I can be an awfully socially awkward person in certain contexts, let me do so now. I dread the odd social gathering at someone's house, unless I know most of the people who are going to be there, and even then, it can be cause for some anxiety. We're talking non-academic, even. So this is not just the pressure of networking. Oh no. It's not being able to answer a query from a person I don't know that runs like this, "Hey, you know that cake you brought? Are we going to eat it or what? Can I cut it since you're busy breastfeeding?" with an honest, "I was waiting until everyone--namely me--was finished eating, and I'd prefer to cut it, but thank you for your offer!" instead of muttering a weak, "okay" and then brooding about it for the rest of the party. . .er. . . weekend. It's deciding not to go to the shower at all because two were scheduled for the same day and you RSVP'd to the one given for the person you knew well, but not as well. I take comfort in my committee chair's admission that there are times that he has entered a home for a gathering and proceeded straight through and right out the back door. That's so me. So what am I worried about with the upcoming dissertation defense? Refreshments. Yup, you read that correctly. Because I heard waaay back--and again today--that the defendee (person on the hot seat) usually brings snacks or breakfast or something in hopes that the committee members are too charmed by the offering--or too afraid of crumbs escaping their mouths--to ask any difficult questions. Or as a courtesy, maybe. That was all vague. Anyway, it's been months since I've had any meaningful face-to-face interaction with my committee chair department head, and while I have asked a couple of times in meaningful ways what is expected of me, he simply will not say "some koolaid and a tray of brownies." So I'm in agonies over which snack would be too childish, the politics of pastries, what about the vegetarian (and what are his reasons for being vegetarian--do they preclude icing?), would it seem like a bribe--and a weak one at that, is it rude to come empty handed? (Except for the dissertation--there is that. . .) And that is my primary source of anxiety. What snack (if any) to bring, and how my choice of snack reflects on me. Literacy-chic, you are an idiot.

7 comments:

LilyBug said...

What an odd tradition. As if you aren't nervous enough about the dissertation and you have to worry, too, about hosting!! Heck, the committee should provide the snacks for themselves while you worry about the defense. But, since you can't break the tradition, consider what time of day your defense is going to take place. Afternoon (between 2 and 4) - people tend to gravitate towards the salty snacks. How about a luxurious spinach dip and fresh corn chips? Morning (between 9 am and 11) - coffee and sweets. Hey, coffee cake is always a nice gesture, no? Oh and they do have wonderful little snack cakes at Sam's (lemon, raspberry, chocolate). Just something to get your mind going. I'm sure you will come up with something wonderful. Oh, and I think they're supposed to take you out after the successful defense, no?

Melanie Bettinelli said...

I can commiserate. I'd probably be agonizing over it too.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh and good luck. I'll say some prayers for you.

Amy Reads said...

Hi Literacy-Chic,

Personally, I think it is a Very Unnecessary Thing, as we are professionals, and it is difficult to be professional when one's mouth is full of tasties, no? Plus, grad students=$$$sad. When you are $$$sad, happy treats are difficult (and you, with the children! We Reads just have the dog to keep happy).

If you feel the need to be hostessy, perhaps bring some nice and refreshing ice-cold bottled water for everyone? That, I assure you, everyone needs, particularly in our stretch of the universe! Or even, at the absolute fanciest, a nice pot of Italian or French Roast (or, fellow New Orleanian, coffee with chicory). No need to cook or bake or buy.

Best of luck, Friend! I follow in your footsteps in a few weeks.
Ciao,
Amy

Sarah Reinhard said...

My advice: show up with something SHOCKING. They'll be too shocked to not let you go through on flying colors, too impressed by your boldness to admit they don't understand why you chose what you did, and, perhaps, just speechless in general.

Like if Julia Child showed up with you and whipped up something FRESH in front of them. :)

You are NOT an idiot. I'll say a prayer for you, and one of the saints will whisper in your ear, I hope, and all will be well.

Hugs to you!!!

Literacy-chic said...

Well, I did hear from my committee chair, and he said no one complains, but no one expects it. Truly, if my defense were at 8 A.M., I would have no qualms about bringing doughnuts, but having scheduled it at a more AWAKE time--the afternoon--makes this a more challenging proposition! I considered the coffee and water ideas, actually, Amy! Maybe I'm not so socially challenged after all? I think the water would be especially nice for everyone to have, since the defense is scheduled for a 2-hour block!! Not sure about the logistics of bringing coffee...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions & support! :) I'll keep everyone updated when I decide what to do!

Entropy said...

If you bring enough water maybe they'll have to go to the bathroom often enough that they'll be unable to ask you the tough questions...or maybe that's just me 'cause I'm pregnant.

You could bring something sweet and something salty to satisfy everyone and if your Prof. is a vegetarian and not vegan then icing is probably ok.

Good luck, though I'm sure you'll do fine.