Wednesday, May 7, 2008

If I did this Challenge. . .

. . . And I'm not saying I will. . .

Chris, bookworm extrordinaire, is always getting tangled in this web of book challenges over at his blog, Stuff As Dreams are Made On. It's a neat concept, much more attractive to me than the "community reading projects" you hear about from time to time--or the Oprah's Book Club kind of thing. For one thing, you don't get the impression that the people who start challenges have any hidden agenda other than to get other people to read what they want/like to read. In my discipline we get so caught up in balancing how much of what type of work and which kind of author and what social, political or intellectual currents, the whom-you-can't-leave-outs and the whom-you-should-really-includes according to this or that view go onto our various reading lists, from syllabi to prelim lists to works in papers and articles we write, etc., that I'm not sure we even know what it means to simply enjoy a work of literature anymore. Of course, this is a sweeping generalization, and so not entirely true, but you know what I mean. So I find this reading-blogging sub-culture is really cool. I want to get sucked into this level of enthusiasm. So Chris is currently doing one challenge (among many) that encourages people to read 10 books from a list of 1001 "must reads," thus making themselves 1% more well read. Certainly a noble cause. I could benefit from something like this, I think. So I perused the list. Many titles--er, most titles--are pretty unknown to me. And the ones I chose, I confess, are largely on my to read list anyway. And I'm not sure I can really do something like this--too many other things going on. But if I were to choose, and if cheating were permitted (that is, choosing with an eye to the "useful" or "things I planned to read anyway"), I would choose the following:

1) The Hours – Michael Cunningham
2) Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
3) The Name of the Rose – Umberto Eco
4) If On a Winter’s Night a Traveler – Italo Calvino
5) A Passage to India – E.M. Forster
6) Jacob’s Room – Virginia Woolf
7) Ulysses – James Joyce
8) Tono-Bungay – H.G. Wells
9) Ficciones – Jorge Luis Borges
10) The Book of Laughter and Forgetting – Milan Kundera

Only the last one is a complete unknown to me. Sounds intriguing, though. I want to keep my eye on these book challenges--and get motivated & excited & stuff!--and I actually signed up for real for a different challenge that I'm behind on, so I'll talk more about that soon! I've got an idea for a Lenten book challenge for next year--Catholic must-reads of various types: choose one book of apologetics, one of fiction, one encyclical. . . you get the idea! If you have suggestions, let me know!

10 comments:

mrsdarwin said...

You'll enjoy Name of the Rose. It's one of my favorites.

Ulysses, not so much.

Sounds like a great challenge -- I should get involved.

1morechapter said...

Glad you're thinking about it!

Ficciones is on my list of possibles as well. I just got back from Argentina a few weeks ago, so I'm even more motivated to read it.

Michelle
1morechapter.com

Literacy-chic said...

It's very compelling, I must say! But I'm totally afraid of committing... Like I said, there were several things that I had on my "to read" list anyway, and I love perusing big lists 'o books! :) How on earth did you come up with the list??

I tried Name of the Rose once, when I was young and unaccustomed to postmodernism. I think I could make it past the "found manuscript" prologue this time!

Ulysses is a must-read for me. Eventually. Another that I tried to read when I was young and naive... I'm a Modernist now. I really should tackle it.

Darwin said...

I tried Name of the Rose once, when I was young and unaccustomed to postmodernism. I think I could make it past the "found manuscript" prologue this time!

Interesting. Most people I know who didn't make it through got bogged down 100 pages in or so, because the main section of the book is _very_ medieval and the mix of languages and medieval philosophy shook off a lot of people.

But now I think about it, you're right that the frame is intensely post-modern -- not just the modern frame but the final conclusions of the medieval characters. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Memoirs of a Geisha is also a good read, and generally a quick and fun one.

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Looks like an interesting challenge. That's quite a list.

Let's see, from your list I've read Memoirs of a Geisha, The Name of the Rose, A Passage to India, and most of Ulysses.

Except for Ulysses it was quite some time ago, though. I'm not sure how much I recall and don't know what I'd think of them today. I feel like such a different person now.

Literacy-chic said...

I understand that sentiment completely, Melanie!!

mrsdarwin said...

I looked through the list and realized that some of these books I have sitting on our shelf, unread. (Or right now, they're packed in boxes until our floor is finished, but you get the idea.) So perhaps instead of picking books off the list, I should just read the stuff I already own that I've never picked up except at the library sale when I thought, "Hey, this looks good."

:)

Literacy-chic said...

Yup! I have the same thing going on! (And mine are in boxes, too, after we moved from a larger house to a smaller--more temporary--apartment!)

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Oh and if you put together a Lent challenge I'll definitely sign up. My last few Lents have been less than stellar, I'd love a little more something to keep me accountable.

Desperately trying to hold myself back from list-mania. I do not need to go through the list of 1001 books and mark off each one I've read. Really I have much better ways to waste time.

Literacy-chic said...

The list goes surprisingly quickly! ;)

I'll need some help putting together that Lenten Challenge, so when the time comes, I WILL solicit suggestions! (Or is this just a ploy to keep myself from giving up blogging for Lent? Naaaaah.)