Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day

Well, today is Mother's Day. For me, it ranks right up there with Valentines Day and all other slightly artificial holidays that are intended to boost the sales of cards, flowers, and candy and induce people to eat at restaurants. It's nice to be appreciated, but I feel appreciated anyway, and when I say I don't need a present, I really mean it. Now, maybe when my kids are grown & have good jobs and can buy me a bigger, better iPod. . . Just kidding! ;)

Another thing about these artificial holidays is that they make everyone involved feel compelled to do "something special"--whatever that something special might be, and we become (collectively) slightly disappointed, disgruntled, or even angry when those things don't quite work out the way we plan, or if we accidently wait until the last minute to do what we had planned--like buy the cards or overpriced flowers, for example.

One thing I've realized is that Mother's Day is really about the children. At least, while they're young. It's about making them feel good about the thing they've done or purchased or whatever, and then we get to feel good about having them feel good about doing something for us--and everything's great. Except when it doesn't work out that way. So keep that in mind, those of you with husbands who want everything to be perfect and children who are too young, yet, to do anything. . . It gets more complex as they get older. But in the end, having a nice day is what you make it.

Happy Mother's Day to all mothers!!

3 comments:

Dr. Peters said...

At church today the pastor said that Mother's Day is not really about being a mother but about having a mother.

chrisa511 said...

Happy Mother's Day! I think you mom's deserve a Mother's Day. Not that we need a special day to show our love for y'all, but it's nice to have a day like this. I've appreciated more as I've gotten older and I think my mom has too. Hope your day was a good one :)

Literacy-chic said...

Sarah- I was thinking that really everyone with a mother--even if one also happens to be a mother--is really thinking more about one's own mother. So yeah, I can agree with that one!

Chris- Thanks for the happy thoughts!