Friday, May 18, 2007

An Iron Chef Moment

These happen sometimes. The theme ingredient: leftover pork tenderloin.

So in two frying pans, I put a couple of heaping tablespoons of apricot 100% fruit preserves. I added a bit of water and integrated the preserves. To one of the pans, I added quite a bit of jalapeƱo Tabasco sauce. To the other, I added a good amount of chipotle Tabasco sauce (which pours more quickly). Then I added slices of the pork tenderloin and cooked until everything was warm & sticky.

On the side, we had the Mango Salsa couscous I have mentioned in a previous post and some canned petit green peas.

The results were quite lovely. I really enjoyed the chipotle. In fact, I intend to try baking some chicken pieces with the skin on in a whole jar of apricot preserves with chipotle Tabasco. Yum!

The night we cooked the pork loin, I made rice with artichoke & spinach, which would have been better had I had more dry white wine and had I not added the spice pack that came with a box mix of mushroom-spinach risotto. The leftovers were better--I added some diced tomatoes from a can, a little milk (cream would have been better), and some provolone (parmesan would have been better). This is a recipe I will have to recreate for my next Lenten meals series!

No comments: