Friday, May 18, 2007

Because Life is Meant to Be Interesting. . .

I discovered today, quite by chance, that the financial aid department at my university no longer considers me to be in good academic standing. The reason? Because they claim that I have exceeded 180 hours towards a single degree. Now, the only way that I have exceeded 180 hours is if my M.A. is counted in the total. That's 2--count 'em!--TWO degrees. But because nothing is easy, I have to submit an online appeals form, which will not be read until I make an appointment with one of their counselors (who can't count anyway), and submit, as part of the appeals process, an Academic Adviser form verifying that I am following a degree plan, that I know all about getting a job in my field, and that I will graduate someday. It's always lovely to have to drag faculty into lovely little matters of not being able to manage my finances.

And nothing much is riding on these loan funds that are now being held. Nope. Just my entire move. Because the bank account is woefully low, the utility company seems to be charging a retroactive late fee from the last time we had service with them--5 years ago, and of course we have to pay the pro-rated rent for the 3 days this month we will live in the new place. Not to mention moving supplies, a truck rental--you know, the usual stuff.

And when was I to receive notice of this glitch in my financial aid? Who knows. The loan was added and removed from my account today, and I had to search my online records in order to find out anything. I discovered this while investigating why I had not been charged for my registered summer hours. So I guess there is some providence in the fact that I realized it now and not late next week when the money was completely gone. But I was slated to receive my funds next Tuesday or Wednesday. That is clearly not going to happen.

In a perfect world, I would not need the loans anyway. But in a perfect world, many of the financial setbacks we have had since we were married would not have happened, or perhaps, as some people advise, we would not have married until the finances were stable. But life doesn't really work that way, and so we will be paying loans until we die. Literally. That doesn't bother me--it'll be like renting our degrees for the rest of our lives. At least the loans don't transfer to the children. But I have to finish the degrees before I can pay the loans. And in order to do that, I need the loans. Kind of circular, no?

Anyway, this crops up at just this moment because I feel better about the pregnancy. The optimist in me says that this is so that I wouldn't have had too many things to cause anxiety all at once. The cynic in me says that it's so that I wouldn't actually get a break from stress. Oh, and the cynic adds, "Dissertation? What dissertation?"

4 comments:

Entropy said...

yuck. I wish I had something perfect to say that would make it all better. You don't need this stress, don't they know you're pregnant?!?

<:/

Literacy-chic said...

No problem. Had I not been pregnant, I probably wouldn't have blogged it! ;) It's just one of those lovely financial aid problems. Warn your kids before they go to college!

AcadeMama said...

L-C,
You're not the only one..My hubby (who is nowhere near 180) also received the same red-line message on his FA portal. When I checked mine (and I'm not even close to 100 hours), the messsage was that my "status" was being changed?? I get the feeling there may be a giant glitch in our college's FA system, and it's hitting a lot of grad students. You might ask around to see if others are encountering this.

Literacy-chic said...

Thank you, Academama! This actually makes me feel a lot better. If it's not an isolated incident, it should be easier to prove that I'm not over the hours.