Sunday, August 19, 2007

Personality Test

Once again, courtesy of Entropy:

Your personality type is INFP.
Introverted (I) 71% Extraverted (E) 29%
Intuitive (N) 95% Sensing (S) 5%
Feeling (F) 55% Thinking (T) 45%
Perceiving (P) 82% Judging (J) 18%

I haven't really ever done a formal one of these, though I've always been intrigued with the concept. I'm not surprised at all that I should come up fairly strongly introverted--less so than I used to be, actually, but still. . . I'm not sure I understand the rest of the classifications, but what I found on this site seems to pin me down pretty well.

Things that surprised me a bit:
  • being "driven to do something meaningful and purposeful"--after all, if that were the case, wouldn't I be a doctor or something? But I've said before that on some level, I do think that what I do is important. "Meaningful and purposeful" can be what you make it, right?
  • "warmly interested in people" (are introverts interested in people??)--but I think I vary. Sometimes I think that the reason I distance myself from people is because of my capacity to become too involved. I am interested in people in practice, individual by individual, and though I claim not to be interested in people more generally, the whole theory behind my dissertation has to do with people and how they engage with texts and how the way they engage with texts helps them develop as people. Ummm. . . yeah. . . kind of demonstrates the "meaningful and purposeful" thing--my dissertation validates what I do. THAT's not self-serving at all!!
  • "service oriented, usually putting the needs of others above their own"--I can see how I might do the latter, but I never considered that that implies the former. And really, I feel like I only put the needs of others above my own in cases when my "loyalty and devotion to people" comes into play. But I guess that's to be expected, no?
Things that don't surprise me, and I like the way they're articulated:
  • "Flexible and laid back, unless a ruling principle is violated"--enough said. Has anyone here mistaken me for "flexible and laid back"?
  • "Prefer to work alone"--However, that's not to say that I don't get inspiration from feeding off of the conversation and ideas of others. That's the nice thing about teaching sometimes, and something I miss about coursework is constant stimulating conversation (depending, of course, on the class!). I do better in terms of dissertation work when I do have regular meetings with my adviser, but I only really seek the input of a few trusted and respected people, and easily disregard the input of people whose opinions I don't respect. That's why conferences don't do much for me, I guess. I know I've just marked myself as a total elitist snob. Let's just chalk it up to the personality type, shall we?
  • "Value deep and authentic relationships"--enough said. Or maybe not. How does one know a "deep and authentic relationship" outside of a spouse?
  • I'm "out of the mainstream" alright. In fact, I'm out of several mainstreams. In fact, if you find a "mainstream" that you think I might fit into, I'm sure to find an exception. Basically, I have the unique talent of being able to p*ss off people on both sides of the spectrum!!
  • I will be happiest in a career that allows me to "live my life in accordance with my values." So if you find one, will you let me know?
This is not really a meme, but I'd really like to tag some people to take the test and comment on what things did and did not surprise them about "themselves". . . Please, take this opportunity to talk about yourself!! Here! For my amusement! Being an introvert, I won't hold it against you if you ignore me. . . Really. . . At least, I'll pretend not to. . .

4 comments:

sdecorla said...

Hey, I’m an INFP too!! Awesome. There aren’t many of us. :)

I am fascinated by this Myers-Briggs stuff. It’s amazing how accurate it is. But I think we also have to remember that there are only 16 types and everyone is unique, so not everything in the description of your type will be 100% accurate. I also think the type descriptions tend to be “idealized” versions of that particular type. There’s never anything negative in them.

I can relate to a lot of the same things you can:

“Flexible and laid back, unless a ruling principle is violated." Yep, same here. You don’t seem particularly flexible and laid back to me, but then again I don’t know you in “real life.” People who know me casually in “real life” tend to think I’m very laid back, whereas the reality is I’m a huge worrier. I think on my blog and in my blog comments I’m more “myself” and don’t seem nearly as laid back. I am fairly “live and let live” about things I do not consider moral imperatives. But if someone is asking me to violate my morals – watch out. :)

"Prefer to work alone" – absolutely. Don’t get me wrong, I love people, love to have long conversations with them about feelings and ideas, but to be honest I hate working with them!! That seems to only lead to problems. When I think of all the people I’m close to, including (maybe especially) my husband and parents, I think “If they were my coworker, I would go nuts!!”

“Value deep and authentic relationships” – absolutely. I don’t think these relationships can only be with a spouse. I’ve had (and have) friendships that are certainly deep and authentic.

If you find a "mainstream" that you think I might fit into, I'm sure to find an exception. Basically, I have the unique talent of being able to p*ss off people on both sides of the spectrum!!

Ditto!!! When it comes to many issues, I really can see both sides. I do not fit into any mainstream. I’m an introverted devout Catholic poet in an extroverted secular business-oriented world where most of the poets and artists are liberal and secular.

I will be happiest in a career that allows me to "live my life in accordance with my values." So if you find one, will you let me know?

Haha, I can sooooooooo relate. I do know of some careers that would allow me to do this, like doing writing, editing or graphic design for a Catholic publication or organization, but I know of none that would allow me to not have to rely on food stamps. :)

As for the stuff you were surprised by – I am definitely “driven to do something meaningful and purposeful,” and I don’t think that has to be a doctor. Being a poet is very meaningful, to me. Raising a child is one of the most meaningful things there is.

Introverts can definitely be interested in people. I know I am – what motivates them, how they think, why they are the way they are. What we introverts are not interested in is mindless small talk about American idol. Unfortunately, there is a huge bias against introverts and many people don’t understand us. They think our need for alone time and dislike of small talk means we “don’t like people,” when nothing can be further from the truth. We just prefer to have a few close friends rather than lots of superficial acquaintances.

As for being service-oriented – I suppose I am, but often more out of a desire to please others. I do need to work on being more service-oriented from my heart. But like I said, these type descriptions are often idealized. I do think I have the potential to be service-oriented.

Sorry for the novel!! I just love this stuff. :)

Literacy-chic said...

Thanks Sarahndipity! Is INFP relatively rare? I didn't know that. In fact, I don't really know much about this stuff. What you say about this being idealized makes sense. And since posting this, the people I know who have reported their results to me haven't seemed to be as "right on" as my own results. I admit that I am NOT terribly flexible and laid back, but I am more so when "ruling principles" are not "violated." But perhaps I wear my "ruling principles" on my sleeve! ;) I am flexible and laid back about housework, and "professional" work, and work of all kinds, but that hardly counts, does it? "Introverts" do have a bad reputation, but what was surprising to me is that extroverts according to the descriptions seem to be flashy & bragadocious (sp?). I don't think I actually know any Extroverts! Anyway, thanks for the comment! These are fun to play with, anyway!

sdecorla said...

I have heard that all the “IN” types – INFP, INFJ, INTP and INTJ, are only 1% of the population each. So we are pretty rare.

I don’t think extroverts are necessarily gregarious and flashy. An extrovert is simply someone who is energized by being around other people, whereas an introvert is energized by spending time alone and drained by being around other people. Sometimes it’s hard to tell if someone is an introvert or an extrovert, since there is a lot of variation, plus a lot of introverts have learned to socialize pretty well and may come across as extroverts.

Alexandra said...

Visiting from the Catholic Blogroll...I score INfp as well. I like your blog. : )