Saturday, August 11, 2007

I am not a quilter


But I made this last November. It nearly killed me. My aunts and mother would make them, sometimes to sell, sometimes to keep, sometimes for gifts. The original backings were bandannas, but bandannas wear out very easily.

My mom gave us one after we were married that we eventually gave to my son; for my birthday one year, she gave me one with a beautiful bright pink Indian pattern on the back; my aunts made one for my daughter sometime between her birth and first birthday with a Mary Englebright print and a flower garden motif on the blue-jean side. So the only one who didn't have one all to himself was my husband, and we had been looking for a particular "motif" for the backing--blue jays. It's a New Orleans thing. A very specific New Orleans thing! It took us until last year to find the fabric. And it took several weeks for my fingers to heal from all the pins! But it was worth it. He was very happy, and I am so proud of it. I don't think I'll make another one, yet I can't bring myself to give away blue jeans. . .

2 comments:

Entropy said...

It may have almost killed you but I think that makes you a quilter. I've been saving jeans too because I wanted to make a giant picnic blanket/quilt out of them. I love that pattern! I am no quilter so and the jeans sit...until I'm brave enough to give it a shot.

I really love this though!

Literacy-chic said...

Yup--quilting and agony. I readily associate the two!! ;)