Sunday, January 20, 2008

Class & Privilege in the Blogs

Recently, my academic and Catholic blog reading has collided in a weird way--in my mind, anyway. There has been this meme hopping around the Catholic blogs, answered here by Entropy and here by Mrs. Darwin, that measures privilege. Sort of. I have been tempted--sorely tempted--to answer it. But something has prevented me. Perhaps the same thing that tempts me to turn off comments on this post--not sure what that is, though.

Then, I have been following a series of posts on Anastasia's blog here, here, here and here--about the role of one's socio-economic background in one's academic success and, ultimately, one's success in Academia. I actually don't like to use the word "class" here, because, as Anastasia points out, there is more to class than money, and "class" is often very narrowly--or conveniently--defined, depending on one's agenda. As several of my dissertation chapters do deal with class (ugh), my dissertation director & I have discussed class a teensy bit, his opinion being that it is more relevant in Britain than the U.S., since class is actually a very different thing in the U.S. than in Britain--dependent on more independent factors, which I write at the risk of sounding circular. I have not commented on the posts because I'm not entirely sure I want to read what other people have said on the topic. (You know when you just want to resist getting bogged down in the debate? That's where I am. . .) So I have relied on Anastasia's accounts of what others have said, and her responses make a lot of sense to me. Our circumstances intersect at times(check the comments for an explanation of this).

All of this called for a response. So whadya think? How privileged am I? Have I mentioned recently that my mother is living with my little brother in a house without plumbing? Or that when growing up I knew more about Catholic Charities than most Catholics? There's a long history here, but I have a disclaimer: People thought of these things differently in New Orleans when I was growing up than how they are perceived elsewhere, now. I didn't feel less privileged than my peers. Though I did have a "friend" remark that, unlike her, I wouldn't have to worry about competitive scholarships 'cause I could qualify for financial aid. Nice. So I have perhaps too many comments on this, but here goes:

From What Privileges Do You Have?, based on an exercise about class and privilege developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Illinois State University. If you participate in this blog game, they ask that you PLEASE acknowledge their copyright.)

Bold the true statements.

1. Father went to college Think so, but I didn't know him. My mother's second husband was a high school drop out.
2. Father finished college
3. Mother went to college
4. Mother finished college I don't think it counts if she finished after me. We were in school at the same time and alternated days so I could babysit while she was in class.
5. Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor
6. Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers. Tough call. Not according to household income.
7. Had more than 50 books in your childhood home.
8. Had more than 500 books in your childhood home.
9. Were read children's books by a parent I could read for as long as I can remember, though that may be a cognitive effect of literacy. I'm sure my mother probably read to me when I was little & she had time. I read to everyone when I was older!
10. Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18
11. Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18
12. The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively Tough call, but we dressed well. Better than others. My mom sewed & believed that you could always afford to dress nicely. We were all well spoken.
13. Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18
14. Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs Ummmm. . . No. She was getting loans too. My grandmother paid my summer tuition as a graduation present, allowing me to enroll & get dual credit to graduate from high school a year early.
15. Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs
16. Went to a private high school
17. Went to summer camp
18. Had a private tutor before you turned 18
19. Family vacations involved staying at hotels No vacations since I was 4.
20. Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18 Even though I was the oldest, no. I wore aunts' old clothes.
21. Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them
22. There was original art in your house when you were a child My mother's--she was an art major.
23. You and your family lived in a single-family house When I was 8 or 9 they bought the house that currently has no plumbing & is still being paid. 800 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 1 bath for as many as 2 adults and 6 children at a time.
24. Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home Does "owned" mean paid? It was still an undivided community when I left. . .
25. You had your own room as a child
26. You had a phone in your room before you turned 18
27. Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course
28. Had your own TV in your room in high school It only worked for video games--really old. If it even still worked by then. . .
29. Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college
30. Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16 To New York at 15 to work at a Christian Camp, which ruined me for organized Christianity for a while
31. Went on a cruise with your family
32. Went on more than one cruise with your family
33. Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up
34. You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family

8/34 = 23.5%

My husband scored 50%. I married up! Hahaha

I think perhaps family size could be a factor, but I wouldn't know how to factor for it. I might have asked about free/reduced lunch at school. That can carry a stigma.

My mother grew up perhaps a bit more privileged than I did. My grandfather provided for his family very well working for a large oil company. He stayed in New Orleans with said oil company even when many of his friends there moved over to Houston. My grandmother was the daughter of sharecroppers. There were some issues about what was appropriate for girls re:education. At least, my mother was not helped at all, which is why her first college experience ended quickly. But my grandfather did value education, and bitterly regretted his own lack of college, while regarding it a bastion of liberalism (fairly, I think). This was also a positive influence on me when I was growing up. My mother had a high value for education. So while economically we were below the poverty level, our values were not what are typically considered working class values. I did not doubt that I would attend college, though I did not expect anyone else to pay for it. My mother was questioning and taught us to question. And you know, class just wasn't a big thing. I learned to rely on my abilities.

Which may not have served me as well as you might think. . .

You see, I didn't know how to play the game. In fact, I was decidedly opposed to the game. You know, the connections game. Could I have gotten into a non-commuter non-state or flagship-state school? Maybe. Could I have gone? Practically? No. At least, I don't know how I would have gotten there. My mother didn't even have a major credit card. But in my stubbornly economically disadvantaged ignorance, I didn't think it mattered. I believed that I would get just as good an education as at a big name school. And in many ways, I think I did. But that's not really what matters, as I learned later. Because unless you know people with connections or have a school name to back you up, or are privileged or disadvantaged in the right ways, you don't advance the same way. So I have bopped from state school to state school, and while I have gained a bit--I am in a higher "tier" than I used to be--it is not a school known for liberal arts, which means that even though it's a big name, it's a big name for the wrong things. That's going to hurt. And the ways to overcome that--conferences and publications--I really haven't done. Because, you see, besides not liking to travel by myself and having kids (though I could have left the one behind with my husband more than I did when he was an only child, I just didn't like to!!), I really can't afford to travel to conferences!! Even if you're reimbursed, you need a way to pay for it in the first place, and with student loans filling in where the income leaves gaps, there's no room for extras. Except that I did sacrifice to send my son to some private schools. For better or worse, really, but for better in terms of his self-esteem.

Like Anastasia, I wanted to study classical languages sooner. I wanted to attend the all-boys Catholic high school my husband attended to have the educational advantages I associated (correctly) with that school. I made the "get out while the scholarship is paying" choices rather than the "prepare for grad school" choices, so I was never able to acquire the languages necessary for comparative lit. But growing up in my income bracket paradoxically gave me determination, but a false sense of confidence in my abilities alone, and deprived me of the connections and credentials (i.e. school names) that I now know go a loooooooong way. I wish I didn't believe that, but I really do. And I think it will cost me academically.

I'm wondering, though, what my son will put down as his answer to the same questions. How privileged is he by comparison? Let's see. . .

1. Father went to college
2. Father finished college
3. Mother went to college
4. Mother finished college
5. Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor God willing
6. Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers.
7. Had more than 50 books in your childhood home.
8. Had more than 500 books in your childhood home.
9. Were read children's books by a parent
10. Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18
11. Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18
12. The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively
13. Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18 Not gonna happen
14. Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs
15. Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs
16. Went to a private high school Let's just say yes (and you know, I almost think homeschooling would merit a 'yes' for this. It doesn't prove anything about economics, but it does demonstrate a dedication to quality of education that could fit a certain definition of privilege).
17. Went to summer camp
18. Had a private tutor before you turned 18
19. Family vacations involved staying at hotels (Did you know that parents going to a conference is a family vacation? At any rate, there aren't many, but staying in hotels is the only option.)
20. Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18 Pretty much
21. Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them Not gonna happen
22. There was original art in your house when you were a child Ummm. . . My mom's. . .
23. You and your family lived in a single-family house For a few years. . .
24. Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home Doubt it
25. You had your own room as a child Yup. For now.
26. You had a phone in your room before you turned 18 Not gonna happen
27. Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course What if he doesn't need it? Or a tutor?
28. Had your own TV in your room in high school
29. Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college
30. Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16
31. Went on a cruise with your family
32. Went on more than one cruise with your family
33. Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up When we can
34. You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family

17/34 = 50% Hmmm. . .

Does materialism = privilege necessarily, or vice versa? There needs to be a distinction between monetary and intellectual privilege here. Know what? That distinction is important to the dissertation, which, despite any obstacles to the contrary--money, family situation--I am indeed writing! (albeit slowly)

7 comments:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

This is a slight tangent but hopefully relevant...

As I commented on Mrs. Darwin's post, I scored 82%, and it could have been higher except we didn't like cruises. :) Here's what's interesting: any of my high school friends would score above 80% if they took this...and we were all totally miserable. Quite a few kids in my social circle made the rounds of the local psych ward in high school, drugs were rampant, and almost all of us struggled with pretty serious depression.

It's fascinating to me that all of our families were perfectly crafted to optimize around material possessions (I knew and still know people who seriously do their family planning around the fact that it's hard to get hotel and cruise ship rooms with more than two kids -- seriously), yet we were the most miserable group of kids you could imagine.

Obviously not every kid with lots of material possessions is miserable, but a LOT are, and I think there's a connection. I'd go so far to say that we had some kind of subconscious understanding that our parents valued material possessions over additional children, and that we took that personally in some way, like we must not have been that great or else our parents wouldn't be so afraid of having more kids.

Anyway, very thought-provoking post. Thanks!

John said...

Jen points out a very good point and I think you were inferring to it too. This "class" test is completely biased towards...what I don't know. I guess the ideology of American success.

I never had a tv or phone in my room but that's because of my parents values for me. Had nothing to do with money. Also, while we did value family vacations and together time, cars were not seen as necessities. Different families (and cultures)value different things. And, I don't think you can just chalk it all up to a number. It's much more complex than that. I did have a private education but my parents had to sacrifice A LOT in order to get it for me. That puts me, in my opinion, in a different "class" than my students who mostly have at least one stay-at-home parent and one very wealthy parent (usually the father). Also, the fact that my students don't understand the concept of student loan throws a wrench into the mix. While my students and I may score the same number on the class test, we are anywhere but near the same. Now LilyBaby's story will probably be different which is a distressing and altogether different subject altogether.

-LilyBug

Literacy-chic said...

To be fair, the test is for "privilege," not class, per se. I do think that may of the questions tend towards a definition of class, though. The questions about education could relate to how much education the parents could afford, or it could tend toward whether the family placed enough value on education to spring for a private education, so to speak. There's no way to control for whether private education was a marker of status or intended to restrict the child's peer group to the "right people," or if there was a real endeavor to procure the best education possible for the child. Even an eye to the child's future is not necessarily the type of valuing education that I'm talking about. I have taught many students whose parents considered paying for their educations to be a investment from which they expect returns--either bragging rights that the son/daughter has achieved X profession, or the knowledge that X son/daughter will provide for them in old age.

And yes, it did bother me that quality of family life did not figure into the privilege test. Though I would have scored low there, too. Though my siblings & I took care of one another (or, rather, I took care of them!!), we were a small boat in the sea of misery that was our family. So if having a happy family is an indication of privilege, I fail that one, too. We did love and were devoted to each other and our mother, and that was a lot. But I grew up not knowing that marriages could be anything but abusive and manipulative. My mother valued children and education over material possessions (though we always had nice toys) but her husband, not so much. The value of a person was in the money s/he earned--a mind set I reject from the very core of my being. (Incidently, that old TV in the room was acquired by my mother's now ex-husband, ostensibly for me to play my Atari. But it became clear that it was really for HIM to play my Atari... Not sure that counts after all...)

Though not ideal, my situation was very different from having material possessions valued over the children, or being neglected in favor of or pacified by material things. Wow, Jen. I never would have imagined that vacations were that important to people. It's just so foreign to me.

Thanks for the comments!

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

I, also, think the language is a little loaded-- e.g., "privilege" rather than "context" or "opportunity."

I haven't taken the test yet, but in a way I expect mine to be like yours.

We had very little, especially early, and those both my parent's finished college and were readers (to us kids) , but it was from a Christian college to low-status, nominally-paid Christian work.

Any airplane flights that happened before age 16 were paid for by compassionate friends (e.g., getting back to the States for my Grandpa's funeral).

I didn't a have to pay for my own college (tuition), but that's b/c my mom worked there and one policy at our state collage is that staff can offer tuition-waivers to family.

*Shrug*

I should just take the test and see what the result is. But I guess I don't want to invest too much in it, b/c it might look like my family (b/c of good management, not "good money") had it easy.

My favorite story in college is knowing a new friend came from a wealthy background b/c of his casual attitude toward strawberries.

He just threw wads into the blender to make smoothies and my breath just stuck in my throat. :oD

Makes me laugh since I sometimes make smoothies now.

mrsdarwin said...

Darwin and I are better off financially than either of our sets of parents were at our age, but I don't think that our children's answers would look substantially different from our "privilege level". (Darwin scored a notch or two higher than I did on the test, mostly because his family had more books.) Some of those factors just aren't important to me, such as having one's own room or having a TV/phone in one's room. Some of them are false indicators, and I agree with other commenters that it's a mistake not to take into account the quality of family interaction.

Jennifer, I think you've told me that story about family planning for optimal cruise results, and it's just galling.

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Jennifer, I think you've told me that story about family planning for optimal cruise results, and it's just galling.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but: I hear this all the time. I guess I'll just never stop being surprised by that.

Literacy-chic said...

You know, it was probably one reason among many, it was just the "talked about" reason for limiting family size. And also emblematic of a type of materialism. But there are also lots of people who wouldn't think twice about leaving the kids wherever to go on the cruise, and then it wouldn't matter how many there were. SO what do you do with that?

[Literacy-chic plays devil's advocate]