Saturday, January 12, 2008

Catholic Capricorns

I find it very cool that in the course of reading blogs, I have found several bloggers within, well, 0-5 years of my own age who write about things we're all interested in. As Jen writes here, it's good to be a Catholic convert and a blogger, because you have a built-in support network. I hesitate to attribute too much to the web in general in this, because on the internet--as in parenting magazines--one can find someone with a web site to support whatever weird perspective one chooses to hold, and the subject of Catholicism is no exception! But I've heard it said by those who are exploring Catholicism (and here I would include myself when I look up answers online) that they could recognize the truth when they saw--read--perhaps "felt" it: I believe this* is related to the Church being guided by the Holy Spirit. Those who sincerely seek truth will find it, however long the journey. But I digress. . .

This month, I have become increasingly aware of the number of like-minded bloggers, and readers of blogs, who have birthdays in January! (Not that I have any particular reason to note this, mind you. . .) Sarah at just another day of Catholic pondering celebrated her 31st birthday on January 10th, Jen at Et-tu, Jen? also turned 31 this month, on January 12th. One of Sarah's readers turns 31 along with me on the 17th. ('77 was a good year for Catholics or, in many of our cases, Catholics-to-be!) I know of someone else who drops by occasionally whose birthday rings in the New Year. And my son's birthday is January 18th! So happy birthday to all of the Catholic Capricorns**!

*My dissertation director's favorite thing to do in my drafts is to circle every use of the word "this" in order to force me to be more explicit about the reference, which obviously makes perfect sense in my own mind. In this case, "this" refers to the ability of prayerful, truth-seeking Catholics to recognize the truth in representations of Church teachings.

**And to all the non-Catholic Capricorns, too!!--It was just funny, you know, "Catholic Capricorn." I know, I know--too self-consciously clever. . . :P

9 comments:

mrsdarwin said...

Darwin's birthday is also in January, but he's an Aquarius (as in, "this is the age of...").

Literacy-chic said...

Yeah, I'm right on the cusp myself. Come to think of it, my son might not even be considered a Capricorn!

I started the post as a tribute to January birthdays, but, you know--cleverness, blah blah blah... So Happy Birthday to Darwin and all of the others with birthdays in January who are not Capricorn! ;)

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Happy birthday!

Entropy said...

Yes, Happy Birthday! Sounds like a cool exclusive club...1977 was a good year!

Sarah Reinhard said...

Hap-hap-hap-peee birthday! And thanks! :)

Literacy-chic said...

Well, gee. Now I'm feeling bad. I'm not a cliquish person, really! ;)

Thanks for the happy birthdays! :)

Literacy-chic said...

Lemme 'splain, too, that it is really unusual for me to know people who were born the same year as me. I started kindergarten early, so while everyone else in my grade was born in '76, I was made fun of for being born in '77!! And later, when I started college early, most of my friends were older. So this is really neat for me!

Entropy said...

Me too! Most of my friends have been 76ers or even older. I was born in 77 just not in January. :)

Literacy-chic said...

I thought so. See? '77 was a good year! ;)