Monday, June 2, 2008

My Tenuous Relationship with Alcohol

-or- The Post in which Literacy-chic Reveals Herself as a Complete Lightweight!
(so go easy on me, Darwin)

I was married with a child before I turned 21. This little fact cut in to my party days considerably, you might say, though I never missed the experience. Truthfully, I would never have had the opportunity living with my mother while going to college. Not that she objected to alcohol. I remember when I was a very young child, probably about 3 or 4, that she would always have a glass of Lancer's red wine. I would get tastes sometimes. I didn't like it as much as Lipton tea with milk. Around the same time, when it was just the two of us, my mom would often take me to the lakefront after school and sit by the levee eating Cheetos (which I always called "chee-wees" and she would drink a Heineken.

Beer was something different. I never liked it. But I was around it. When I would stay with my grandparents during the summer, or after school, or whenever, I would always bring my grandfather a cold Budweiser. It was a privilege. My grandfather always had a glass of red wine with dinner, and even made his own wine on occasion--dandelion, elderberry. . .

Alcoholics were a part of everyday life, though I never demonized alcohol because of it. One aunt's boyfriend, one uncle, probably my grandfather, my mother's second husband--his poison was Jack Daniels. One aunt was known to be less-than-sensible with alcohol, and another coped with high school with a bottle of vodka in her locker, but only drank wine to try to dull the pain of her immobilizing headaches by the time I was conscious of it all.

Although "tastes" were a-plenty in my family, I never really liked beer. When I was old enough to go to pubs and have others buy drinks for me (roughly 17), I came to like Guiness. I could actually handle a pint with little problem, and only a little tingly feeling in knees. I was never trusting enough of other people to let myself get more buzzed than that. When my husband and I were dating, I would sometimes try a new beer (sips--confidentially, I have rarely had a whole beer to myself). At this point, there are a few distinctive ones that I like, though I am much more the connoisseur of red wines--particularly Spanish reds ( I like Tempranillo and Garnacha) than beer. Recently, I have become enamored of a couple of brews--Blue Moon Belgian Ale is about the lightest I will go. I bought their summer brew last night--can't wait to try it. While their standard brew has orange citrus notes, the summer one has lime. I was also impressed lately by the Shiner Hefeweitzen, though I don't like their Boch. Shhhh! I could get kicked out of Texas for admitting that! I prefer Ziegen Boch, though I don't like it enough to buy a whole 6-pack. Confidentially, time was that a 6-pack would last 6 months in my fridge. We once had one in for so long that the whole thing turned to foam before we tried to drink it. Not so lately. . .

Now, that's not to say that they move quickly. Chiclette was baptized on March 1st. We just polished off the last of the 2 6-packs we bought that weekend--umm. . . yesterday. Pathetic, no? We've gone through a bottle or two of wine in that time, but that's used for cooking. And as wine goes, we've got a 7 year-old bottle of sweet Greek wine in the back of the fridge. Dessert wines are a bit different, though. Now, as for the Irish cream. I didn't drink it because I found out I was pregnant with Doodle--February of 2005. (I will do occasional wine when pregnant, but nothing more.) Does that stuff go bad? And my mom gave us a bottle of Champagne in December of the same year. I'm thinking of making a soup out of it.

Cooking with beer, I have found, is tricky. I tried to make a St. Lioba Beer & Mushroom soup from my Monastery Soups cookbook with a darkish beer that I would have LOVED to drink. Instead, the whole thing got flushed. It was bitter beyond belief. *shudder* I bet that Pumpkin Ale we got a few years ago (and kept for almost a year) would be good in a recipe!

In recent weeks, I have stepped up my beer and wine consumption--somewhat dramatically--to one (bottle or glass, respectively) every day or two. I wonder about this a bit. It also corresponds to a drastic increase in my coffee consumption. I drink the coffee in the morning to wake up--mentally & physically. In the evenings, I drink a glass of wine or have a beer to de-stress & unwind. Who needs yoga when you can foster a little chemical dependency? While I know this is still light-to-moderate, I wonder at myself a bit, more because of what it indicates about my mental state. On the other hand, if it works. . . *shrug*

When I start switching the times of the coffee and alcohol, then I'll worry.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Funny, my consumption of both caffeine and alcohol has also increased over the last few weeks. Tea was always my preferred caffeine, but lately it has been tea in the morning, a cola in the afternoon (to get me through that drowsy patch) and then a glass of something in the evening after the kids are in bed. Part of it is because it seems less indulgent if I drink my calories rather than eat them, and a lot of it is that it is so darn hot already!

AcadeMama said...

Hi there,

I'm not even sure if this is considered light-to-moderate. I know lots of doctors and/or people in the medical community who seem to suggest that one drink a day, especially if it's with a meal, isn't any different from having a soda, tea, or other beverage. I think we (Americans) tend to place a certain stigma of alcohol in principle, while many other cultures, as you know, benefit from having things like red wine and dark ale in their daily diet.

This is also not to mention that you're a newly minted PhD, about to hit the job market, caring for three children, and, if you're like most other fresh doctoral graduates, concerned with how to pay back all those student loans. I'd say just half of that load entitles anyone to a daily glass of wine!

mrsdarwin said...

To tell the truth, I'm no fan of beer, and only have sips of the stuff that Darwin thinks is good enough to drink. Otherwise I never touch the stuff. I'll have wine occasionally, but I can live without it.

My preferred drink is a gin and tonic, though being pregnant I've had to cut back on those.

I do, however, drink almost two quarts of iced tea a day -- something I can quaff quickly in this heat.

Literacy-chic said...

I'm a real tea-head, too, Kate. I alternate between coffee & tea. Either I'll go through phases when I want one and not the other, or I drink coffee in the morning, Dr. Pepper in the afternoon, tea in the evening!! (now wine or beer)

Yeah, Academama, you've got a real point, and that's what I've been telling myself--I deserve it. I guess in spite of coming from a more European and less Puritan or Bible belt city, I have still been affected by the alcohol taboo. For me, it has something to do with the rationale for drinking. I feel like if I'm drinking to alter my mood in some way (if I need to relax, de-stress, or shake off my day), that's dangerous territory.

Mrs. D--This is where the "Literacy-chic is a lightweight" comes in: I don't do cocktails. EVER. Maaaaaaybe a Margarita, but more often a Margherita pizza. I once had too much of a wonderful thing called War & Peace Punch, which consisted of Vodka, Sprite (or the like) and wine (red for war, white for peace). Made me feel sick to my stomach and I had to have some Borscht to take the edge off. I'll do Baileys on the rocks once in a blue moon, but Irish coffees and Baileys in coffee are much more my speed. Pathetic, no?

This sums up my usual attitude toward beer, really (until recently):

To tell the truth, I'm no fan of beer, and only have sips of the stuff that Darwin thinks is good enough to drink.

mrsdarwin said...

I once had too much of a wonderful thing called War & Peace Punch, which consisted of Vodka, Sprite (or the like) and wine (red for war, white for peace).

Your problem is that you had a drink named after a Tolstoy novel.

Literacy-chic said...

Your problem is that you had a drink named after a Tolstoy novel.

At the house of a Russian Prof...