Sunday, June 15, 2008

Speaking of Body Spray. . . [This post is rated PG-13]

Why take a bath if you can use Axe and get laid? My husband got the most offensive postcard ad that I think I've ever seen for Axe Body Spray. I don't even like to think of the implications--of what KIND of body smell you're trying to cover up before you *ahem* "make your move." The interesting thing about Axe is that my husband says the name, for him, evokes wild Norsemen (not "perfumed parlorsnakes"--or prettyboys). Well, they made their move, too. Not too consensual, you know?

Here is some of the rhetoric:

--"Act fast--Don't let opportunity pass you by."

--"Make a move. . . In record time."

--"Now, you'll never miss an opportunity."

--"Keeping these items [Axe body spray, Stride gum] in your pocket will make sure you're always prepared for a spontaneous hook-up." [ED: The safe-sex crowd must love that, too!]

Apparently, Axe has a new "bullet" size. Funny, there's a vibrator and a blender that also share that name.

Don't send ads for casual sex to my home, please. I have an 11-year-old boy, thanks. I know I live in an apartment complex in a college town but you know, I would prefer if you didn't send ads for casual sex to the apartments around me, either. I already worry about living with children in a complex when more than a few couples are "shacking up." *sigh* To think we moved here to be in a better school district.

7 comments:

John said...

This post made me laugh. Perhaps the advertisers are getting men in their 20s ready for those "spontaneous moments" they'll be ready for in their 60s with a little help from another product that is way over-marketed.

On a more serious note, sorry to hear about the ads' exposure to the kids. It's actually amazing how many sex messages kids are exposed to nowadays - the majority of the pre-marital kind. Sigh.

-LilyBug

lyrl said...

After reading the subtitle to your last post, I haven't been able to get the 1930s ads for Lysol as a contraceptive out of my head. Douching with Lysol was the most popular birth control method of that decade (article).

I'm put off by the Axe TV ads, and this postcard sounds even worse (this coming from someone who doesn't even oppose premarital sex!) Unfortunately, I think that means we're not the target market, so complaints from us wouldn't do any good. I find it sad that the segment of society that places a high value on "spontaneous hook-ups" is large enough to be a target demographic for an advertising campaign.

Literacy-chic said...

After reading the subtitle to your last post, I haven't been able to get the 1930s ads for Lysol as a contraceptive out of my head. Douching with Lysol was the most popular birth control method of that decade

You know, I had forgotten about that! I remember seeing it on a documentary. **shudder** Funny the way these 2 posts did that!!


Lilybug--The kids weren't actually exposed to it. My son scans for specific items (like Lego catalogs) and mentally labels everything else as uninteresting! But the point is, it could have been. And their marketing is a bit skewed. It assumes that the only people in [college town] are college students, that the only people in [adjacent town where we used to live] are Hispanic, only homeowners live in houses, etc.

I find it sad that the segment of society that places a high value on "spontaneous hook-ups" is large enough to be a target demographic for an advertising campaign.

Agreed, definitely. Don't forget "the segment of society that places a high value on 'spontaneous hook-ups'" but has questionable hygiene!! 'Cause if you pick her up from the gym, she'll smell the same and you won't have to use Axe, so that can't be it...

I haven't always taken issue with premarital sex. It's a lot easier to condemn from my present position, I know. But the permissive mentality didn't serve me particularly well. And I think acceptance of premarital sex all-too-easily degenerates into this kind of thing...

Literacy-chic said...

Another thing--given the ad, I would have expected Axe to team up with Trojan, not Stride GUM!

Rejected slogans:

"Hello minty breath, goodbye stanky smell!"

"The scent/flavor lingers longer than he does"

"Double your pleasure, double your fun with Axe and Stride Gum"

"Say goodbye a little sooner"

Darwin said...

How about:

"You won't even have to axe"

"Make you sure you use safe axe"

"Axe in the city"

"She'll be Axing for more"

Though really, these folks should have checked in with Ovid who suggested in his Art of Love some 2100 years ago: "Don't go around reeking like a billy goat."

Why don't they read the classics these days?

Literacy-chic said...

LOL just doesn't begin to cover my response, Darwin. Best laugh I've had in WEEKS! ;D

Darwin said...

Oh, and for any of a more unusual persuasion, don't forget:

"Don't Axe, don't tell."