Monday, June 11, 2007

A Sigh of Relief

Well, I had my ultrasound today and everything appeared normal. But last night & this morning I found myself literally panicking in anticipation! I've never been nervous about an ultrasound before. But everything looked fine. My nervousness, however, was nothing compared to my daughter. Far from being fascinated with the computer and keyboard, she was very concerned about whatever the woman was doing to momma. So she spent most of the time with her head in my husband's shoulder, and the rest whimpering "momma" in my direction with an occasional "I'm sorry"--the cure-all for all uncomfortable situations--thrown in for good measure. She fell asleep shortly after we left the clinic, though it was only about 10:40. She has, however, been waking up between 7 and 8, unable to go back to sleep because of the sun in our bedroom. I'm investigating fabric for curtains (and then I have to find a place for the sewing machine!!)

The actual transport of "stuff" is complete, including much transferring of stuff to good causes, etc. But in light of some news I received via the ultrasound, it appears that much more "stuff" will be able to go away. And of course, the "stuff" has reached the new apartment, but has not settled in. Much is still in boxes, and we are slowly moving toward clearing the living room & dinig area. Other areas of the house are looking better.

Overall, now that the major part of the stress is behind me, I can declare, tentatively, that the move was a success. The baby is much freer and happier, albeit getting banged up from running around boxes. She goes to sleep much earlier because she exerts more energy during the day. We take occasional walks around the complex and have even gone swimming once. It is a bit hard to keep track of her sometimes, but she has some little designated play places and is exploring new (old) toys (courtesy of brother and aunts & uncles)--like dishes & Potato Heads. She is also expressing interest in potty training, but I don't know if I'm ready for that. . .

Big brother is happy with his new room, but since he can pretty much play Game Boy anywhere, is generally content. He is gone in the morning for Summer Enrichment classes that runs through the end of June--one of which involves writing for the web! He is looking forward to his new school, where he will be in orchestra, learning to play the cello.

And I am doing pretty well. Every now & then I just need a change of location, whether it is a rearranged work space or something more drastic. I believe I have been in a deep rut for a long, long time. I find that, although I am up earlier and in bed late, I have the energy to do it. I am, interestingly, losing weight, thought not drastically, likely because of increased activity. I even did a little something toward the dissertation yesterday. Perhaps things are starting to come together. And with the ultrasound behind me, I can breath that proverbial sigh of relief. The fall class situation is better, too. I will be teaching Lit in a computer classroom environment in the evenings, so no need for child care and I can rum some classes as distance if necessary. (I'm not sure my colleagues will be willing to sub--I'm not working from an anthology; rather, I'm continuing my fantasy class, so I'll probably be doing either The Tempest, The Two Towers, or Invisible Cities when the baby arrives.)

My husband is looking forward to less gas usage and the acquisition of curtains for the bedroom so he can sleep!!

And by the way, Critter #3 (as we call the new one--yes, only one!) is looking like a girl!

5 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I'm so glad to hear your "proverbial sigh of relief" :) Glad things are going a little bit better for you and that the move is heading in a good direction. Sounds like things are settling into quite a good place and that all is going well with the family.

I love that your oldest (going for anonymity here ;) is picking up the cello! That's awesome! I would've loved to learn something like that at a young age. I played the saxophone, but would've love to have played the violin or cello instead.

And if I may have a vote, I vote for The Tempest...It's my favorite of Shakespeare's plays if you can't tell by the title of my blog ;) Though I know it would be a dream come true for you to teach some Tolkien.

Literacy-chic said...

Oh, I'll be teaching both, just at different times during the semester! I just don't have it all mapped out because I can add some works for the fall that didn't fit during the summer. The Tempest is my standard because I can't think of another play that is "fantasy." They tend to be fairly realistic--possibly for reasons of staging... It is a good one. I was scared to teach it at first. In fact, if you could give me any insights--or just tell me what you like about it--they would be most appreciated!!

chrisa511 said...

How about A Midsummer Night's Dream? I know it's one of the most over taught of Shakespeare's, but I'd consider that a fantasy. It's a fun one too. Some of my favorite Shakespeare quotes in there.

mrsdarwin said...

Congratulations on a baby girl! That's wonderful news. I'm glad to hear that the fall schedule is starting to look workable for you. Your reading list makes me wish I had the kind of time for books that I did when I was a student. I still read, of course, although I no longer have the kind of free time I'd like for it. But then, I'm not paying exorbitant tuition rates to guarantee me that time either. :)

Literacy-chic said...

The sad thing is that my students don't really recognize reading as something worthy of their time, and that I, as the teacher, don't really have the time for reading that I'd like to, either!!

Thanks for the congrats! I am really feeling much more positive than I have in recent weeks. Yay! :)