Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Pregnancy Anxieties, part 1

At the time that I wrote my two blogs about Catholic moms, careers, and unplanned pregnancies, I had a strong suspicion that I was pregnant with my third child. Turns out, I am. If you know me in the world outside the blog, please don't mention it just yet, as I am not quite ready for the news to go public (especially since my first doctor's appointment isn't until April 2, and I'm always rather afraid of something bad happening in the meantime). Also, pleeeeease don't make with the Catholic jokes until later. I can't really handle them right now. You can save them for the series of posts I'm planning: one in which I ask for people to say happy, excited, cheerful things; one in which I ask for people to tell me all of the obnoxious things that people tell to women who are pregnant--especially who are pregnant again, too soon, and then perhaps one that asks about Catholic large family jokes or even perhaps blessings. I need all of the blessings I can get!

You see, I really wasn't ready. I thought I would perhaps wait until my daughter was 4 or 5--after all, her brother was about to turn 9 when she was born. I wanted to determine how her very strong little personality would develop for a while, and I feared that she would be a "middle child"--the attention-seeker who feels persecuted by his/her siblings and parents. I did not want this for her. She has a sweet disposition, but has entered the most frustrating age!! I remember being frustrated with her brother at this age, and the frustration didn't lessen until he was 4 or 5, though the later frustration was perhaps a symptom of his ability to communicate rather than the inability, which is what we are facing now. She is very needy, and wants my (usually) or my husband's (frequently) attention most of the time. Brother is a big help, but it is a real challenge to keep her happy these days. I also need to investigate the possibility that she has recurrent urinary tract infections, a fear with which the doctor poisoned my mind when she had a UTI at about 9 months. The "asserting her will" phase is further complicated by the fact that my house is NOT baby proof--not even remotely baby proof--not baby proof in any sense of the word. So all is not well in toddler-land.

I worry that no one will be excited for me. That I will be greeted with pity, which, I believe, has already happened. That I will be regarded as foolish. That those who express joy will harbor a secret pleasure in seeing me humbled. I did not have a baby shower with my daughter on purpose, because I didn't know who would come anyway, and it was never custom in New Orleans to have a baby shower for a second pregnancy. But for this one, I feel like I might like one. This might be because a baby shower forces people to at least pretend to be happy for the pregnant mother. I was most insistent that I receive a baby shower for my son, also unplanned, but more so, and so dreadfully afraid (with reason) that no one would step forward to give it that I organized it myself, for the most part. Perhaps I felt confident enough in myself not to need other people being happy for me with my daughter--they were already, and it didn't necessarily matter, because I was happy.

Which perhaps brings me to the real cause for my anxiety over what others will say. Anyone who knows me will know that I rarely care for other's opinions. Except that I feel, in spite of the fact that I am happily married, a deep sense of embarrassment and shame. Because, as I mentioned before, intelligent, mature women don't have accidents. I don't really believe that, but that is what feminism would have us believe, isn't it? And regardless of the issues I have with feminism, it's hard to eject the poison from our consciousnesses. The Catholic arguments aren't really working for me, because as a self-styled intellectual and a long-time skeptic, I have deep reservations about doing, feeling, or thinking something because a religion tells you to do so. Conversion or no conversion, I can't purge something so closely embedded in the fiber of my being--or at least I haven't been able to do so yet. This is a point that was not helped by the homily I heard on Sunday, in which the priest discussed ecumenism. He mentioned that while we believe that the Catholic Church holds within itself all of the necessary elements of salvation, that we share with other denominations some of the elements necessary for salvation. While his point was that we can enter dialogue through this common ground, it rather sounded like, if you can't be Catholic, other options can lead you to salvation also. While this is the grounds according to which Catholics recognize the potential for those outside of the Church to achieve Salvation (an idea my mother was not taught in parochial schools), it is not necessarily something that one wants to banter about to Catholics who are feeling discouraged. And as if to illustrate the point, I saw someone in my department yesterday whom I know to have been ordained a Catholic priest. He left the clergy, married, and is now an Episcopalian priest (and a conservative one, from all accounts). So instead of regarding him and wondering the reason for his decision, albeit a difficult decision, this homily allowed me to see the rationale according to which he must have acted, making the choice for the love of his now-wife that he felt, from the weakness of our common human condition, to be necessary at the time. There is, of course, more to the theology issues, but I will leave them for now. . . perhaps forever.

I worry about being a bad parent, particularly to this new one. I have high standards for everyone, but my highest standards I reserve for myself. If I am frustrated with my beautiful little girl right now, how much more will I brush her aside to care for a new one? I don't know how my mother did it. Especially without any support from her husband. And already I am making compromises in my high ideals in anticipation of the new arrival. It was a matter of pride for me to wait until delivery to find the sex of my first two. I am now considering finding out in advance, simply to make it easier on myself--not to enhance the excitement, but to know whether I need to assess the situation with boy clothes, or if I can rest assured that I have things covered with clothes from my daughter. My son and daughter never did take bottles. I now feel that I will probably pump and give the new baby at least one bottle a day. I can not decide whether I am compromising my beliefs about child rearing because I am not mentally or emotionally prepared for this baby, or if I am simply being practical, given the fact that I still need to complete a degree while caring for a toddler and an infant.

And of course, I worry about finances. My husband is woefully underemployed given his education and talents, and has settled for his present position in support of my academic pursuits. My financial aid is exhausted, and I'm not sure I will qualify for alternative loans next academic year. I'm not even going to address bills, but while we have made significant progress on the credit card-type debt over the past 4-5 years, student loans and car notes (of which we have 2, though only one car) pose significant problems. We will be moving into a better school district, which brings additional expense, and would like to get a 2-bedroom, though with a baby on the way, a 3-bedroom would be more legal, if less practical in terms of layout (and price!!). A good friend who will shortly be giving birth herself has told me of a Mexican proverb that a baby is born "with a loaf of bread under its arm." This could be taken more or less literally, assuming that the family situation will work itself out, or that, specifically, families find ways of making things work financially in order to support a new baby. I believe both of these things to a degree, though I must confess to a weakness of faith with regards to God's intervention in financial difficulties. It has just never been something I believed--that God intervenes in financial matters, perhaps because of the emphasis in the Bible on relinquishing one's material possessions.

I have always felt that a baby is indeed a blessing, and precious, and that babies are a joy, and help people to cope with situations in positive ways, so I know things are going to work out somehow. I also maintain the belief, expressed elsewhere, that motherhood does not restrict the mother to the home, and that, in particular, an academic profession and parenting are perfectly compatible. But I know I have significant challenges before me, and I can use all of the prayers and encouragement that you have to offer.

13 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I am so happy for you and hubby!!! And that's the honest truth...no feelings of pity.

Y'all are wonderful parents and have raised (or begun to raise) two wonderful kids so far and have still maintained your uniqueness. That says alot. I can see how you may be a bit leary about this, but I honestly think that y'all will be O.K. I work with children every day who come from horrible family lives, and the two of you could not be these kind of parent's if you tried. Y'all are honest to God good parents.

You'll find a way to make this work. I have no doubt about that. I'm sure that your daughter put a strain on things as well, but you made that work and you'll do it again.

I really hate the idea that every baby has to be planned or they're an "accident". At River Oaks, I'd rather call them a "lovely surprise." By nature, we are sexual beings. We have hormones in our bodies that were put there by our maker in my opinion (not by the devil as some see it). I just said in one of your posts the other day that I don't think God give's "accidents". We get babies when he thinks we're ready. And I'm sorry, but I think it's just impossible to go 2-3 years in between intimacies. That's the only real way to "plan" the Catholic way, because "accidents" can happen at any time. I don't see God expecting that.

What I'm trying to get at is that I know you must have a lot of worries right now, but I have no doubt that you will be a wonderful mother to this child. You're already a wonderful mother to two. Life is full of surprises and takes us in certain directions at times that are not always convenient. We can't control that, but we can control how we react to it, and I honestly think that a baby couldn't ask for better than you two.

Congratulations!

Dr. Peters said...

I am happy for you. And I'll be happy to talk to you about pregnancy anxieties and worries about how your relationship will change with your toddler--I have those, too! And I'll gush over baby stuff with you, too.

Fred said...

congratulations! prayers! blessings!
Fred

Literacy-chic said...

Gee, guys. Way to make me cry before I go teach!! ;)

Unknown said...

Congratulations. I know what you mean about your daughter being in a frustrating phase but she will love helping you take care of the new baby. I will be praying for you as you adjust to this news and make your preparations for the addition to your family.

I can also assure you that God does answer prayers for financial help. My sister and her husband got some money out of the blue, a real miracle, just when they needed it the most. It was definitely an answer to prayer. They also managed to find an apartment in New Orleans at pre-hurricane prices this past fall. That is a miracle if you like. Remember Jesus' words about the sparrows and the flowers of the field. God does help us with all that we need. Financial and otherwise.

Anna

Literacy-chic said...

Anna,
I do prefer my version to the version that says that I'm just not desperate enough or worthy enough for divine intervention in financial matters. My version also is more in line with the general inequity of wealth distribution, even among faithful, prayerful people. But kudos to your sister for her fortune! Now if only my family's Katrina difficulties would be solved. Know anyone who wants to buy a house in the New Orleans area?

mrsdarwin said...

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you.

I was raised Catholic, among many orthodox Catholics, and I still had a rather snide attitude toward those who had children "too close together" -- until it happened to me. To say we were unprepared would be a massive understatement. But God provided beyond anything we could have expected.


By the time your darling baby comes along, I think that you'll be prepared. Unexpected pregnancies have a way of making a family reassess and regroup real fast. :)

And remember that having a younger sibling will sometimes make a fussy or fractious child mature suddenly. There's nothing like feeling the responsibilities of being the older sibling.

If you throw a baby shower, let me know! I'll show up with a Sam's Club pack of diapers. :)

P.S. You shouldn't feel bad about finding out the sex of the baby. After all, the ultrasound tech knows it, so why shouldn't you, the mother?

Frabjous Days said...

Just stumbled across your blog.

I've got three kids too. Numbers 2 and 3 completely unplanned. In fact, without going in to too many details, we went to extreme lengths to avoid pregnancy within the limits of church teaching...

So anyway, they're all 20 months apart. It was very hard in the beginning (for different reasons from yours) but of course they are all such enormous blessings. I just remember the day my 3rd one was born, feeling so joyful and that 'this is what happens when you trust in God!'

Try not to worry about what other people think. They're the ones with the problem if they think that a new baby is anything other than a cause for celebration.

Literacy-chic said...

Thank you all for the support. I am feeling better. Thank you especially for helping me realize the things I already knew! I must admit that it is still a little unreal, but I have a drs. appt and a sonogram on March 20th!

Sarah Reinhard said...

I am so very, very happy for you. Before I became Catholic, I had a very...distrustful...attitude about large families, and then I met my husband's family. Wow. It didn't exactly make me want to get married and pregnant right away, but it sure sowed a seed within me. Now I look at the large (as in, more than two kids) families I know, and I see how those kids play together, and how the smile beneath the mom's frazzled face is glowing, just a bit, and I think...hmm. What's that? I think, maybe, the best pregnancies are the unplanned ones. How better for God to tell you how much he loves you? It might be that I am surrounded by people who have major fertility issues and other people who have buried multiple babies that influences my worldview. But, really, think of how much God must love you to give you this gift, this person inside you, who you will come to know and hold and nurse and raise. Think of the joy you will feel - maybe even the joy you feel now, deep down. Wow. You have co-created. God really loves you. What a great blessing.

And I'm praying! Maybe the loaf will be buttered! :)

Amy Reads said...

Hi Literacy-Chic,
Holy Babytalk, Batman! Congrats! Can't wait to meet the next one!
:)
Ciao,
Amy

supadiscomama said...

Congratulations, Lady! I just found your blog, so I didn't know when I saw you :)

Literacy-chic said...

Thanks, Amy & Supadiscomama!