Friday, December 28, 2007

Pre-Teen Discipline Strategies. . .

I've mentioned before that I've been having ten-year old trouble (and toddler trouble. . . in fact, I seem always to be complaining about something). It is escalating into almost 11-year old trouble. Not even the pre-Christmas threats seemed to make a temporary impression. Admittedly, we have had some special circumstances over the past several weeks. My brother has been staying with us until my mom could come back up from Louisiana, and they are 2 1/2 years apart. My brother also has rather a challenging personality. So they did tire of each other's company. But my son has adopted the attitude that he is better than everyone everywhere--an attitude he likely gets from his parents, both from our example and from messages we have given him. He is unkind to his sister, his uncle, and disrespectful to his parents and (especially) to my mother. This has me perplexed. I am a lot of things, but I always show respect to my mother and family and others' parents in particular. Basically, I am respectful to those whom I consider deserving of that respect, or to whom I am expected to show respect. I know, I've just incriminated myself. But I have always tried to teach him to be respectful. I have also always considered him very empathetic. Not so. In fact, he has very little regard for others' feelings, especially his sister's and my mother's. Now, my own siblings are very disrespectful towards my mother, but I have never been. I have, however, been honest--too honest, I now believe--with my critiques of teachers in particular. I felt like I should be honest with him about what I felt were their shortcomings so that he did not feel like teachers were always right. I have, in short, created a monster, and it is coming back to bite me. Perhaps I was too young to know the consequences of these child-rearing choices and attitudes towards others, though my intentions were good--I have mellowed in the past few years in particular, especially since becoming Catholic. But I am left with a problem child who can please when it suits him and he needs to put on a show--or at least that's how I feel, and what my mother thinks. There are certainly those who tell me that he is a good child. I have always wanted to believe that--and have been successful. After all, I have been defending his existence in my mind since he was conceived. But I am no longer sure. Yesterday, he acted and spoke to my mother--currently my house guest--in a way that suggested that he had an authority in my house that was above hers. And then, as damage control, he gave me a significantly slanted version of the story. In the process, he has lost all of his Christmas gifts, including his brand-new iPod Nano, his one big present. Christmas Eve I was lamenting his behavior and feeling unenthusiastic about giving him presents. He has disappointed me greatly, but my standards are high--not impossibly so, but high. I don't expect him to be any more than I was at his age: helpful, respectful, responsible, generous. I spent $61 on a fundraiser for orchestra in November so that he could get a free candle. I thought he would give it as a present. He did not. Heavily pregnant, I made a pair of pants for his Halloween costume in an afternoon. He expressed no gratitude. A few months ago, I was able to buy the one thing he wanted most for Christmas--a Nintendo Wii. I bought one on the spot when I happened upon them at Target. I kept it overnight and returned it the next morning. There were many reasons for the return--cost, not wanting fights over the television, thinking the living room was too small, dreading the toddler's frustrated attempts to play, not wanting to feed the obsession. But had he been better behaved these past few months, most of those things would have been overlooked. See? Santa doesn't give naughty children the same consideration. That iPod was a luxury, though, and I debated whether it was appropriate. It was at least more "serious."

I hate posting things like this, really. Such posts leave out the big picture. Unfortunately, the bad attitude has clouded my perception of a host of positives, including his near straight-A grades, his loving moments (which are only moments, and are select), and his occasional willing help (which is too infrequent), much as his arrogance about his cello-performance clouds (in my mind) his accomplishments (the line between pride and arrogance is painfully thin). I hope that all who read this, in particular the bloggers we will soon meet, do not judge him (or me) too harshly. I only post this now because of my proposed resolution. . .

Because this was a serious offense, we debated about punishment. Taking away treasured things or privileges for a set period of time (or indefinitely) is ineffective--he simply waits out the punishment with little attempt at reform. Guilt is temporarily effective. I hate to use the Church and Sacraments as a child-rearing crutch, though I was thinking that weekly confessions might not be out of order. What else is there? Well, I don't like the rhetorical strategy of saying, "I prayed for an answer," but, well, I did. I had already decided to take away the Christmas gifts, but for how long? And what would be accomplished besides causing hurt and resentment? I found a web page that suggested rewards for positive behavior. It sparked an idea: He will earn the return of the gifts--slowly, through acts of kindness, generosity, respect, responsibility, and reparation. I plan to make a chart listing the items and how many stars will be required to earn an item. At the end of the day, his efforts will be analyzed collectively, and stars may (or may not) be awarded. I do not anticipate a star every day. In this way, the items will be recovered through his own efforts, and the behavior might become habitual. Hopefully, the acts will be genuine--a real "turning away." Anyway, that is my theory. Any thoughts?

13 comments:

Entropy said...

I hate that "cloud" feeling! It really does sound like you're doing a fine job of raising him. He sounds like a good kid who's testing his limits. Having the cloud feeling might make it feel like more than that but it's probably not. You haven't ruined him! :)

I don't know if what I think will help since I have a nine year old that thinks she knows everything. If it were a one time incident, probably taking the toys away for a while, a good guilt trip, and a sincere apology would be it. But since it's becoming habitual behavior, I would get more serious.
We have bouts with my daughter with attitude and especially tone of voice. What works for us--and I think could transfer to your situation--is to shut her down. Take away all privileges (any extra curriculars you haven't already paid for, special trips, toys--everything). And further incidents of disrespect--even small ones that might normally be overlooked--get the same treatment. My daughter doesn't like to sit on her bed alone--away from the rest of the family, not able to read or talk, just sit--so after she's lost everything that's her punishment for continuing the behavior. We don't analyze behavior at the end of the day or anything but after we've seen significant improvement (several days of good attitude), and we weren't badgered by her about it, we'll present the toy or privilege to her and tell her that we've noticed how hard she's been working on her attitude and that she can now have it back. It's worked for us. Unfortunately, once you fix them the don't always stay fixed ;) We try hard to be consistent though.

I don't know if that will work for your son and it might sound too harsh to you but it would convey how serious you consider the matter. He'll be bored for a while but just tell him he can entertain himself by playing with his sisters. :)

Entropy said...

One more thing, and it's the thing that's really hard for me to do but really works. After the initial conversation about the behavior, the punishment, and what's expected and why, when you hand out the punishment there's no more lecture. She knows why she's getting sent to her room and when she is allowed up there's no conversation either, we just go about our normal day. It cuts out a lot of the back talking and arguing but it's really hard to do for me at least.

Literacy-chic said...

Thanks, Entropy! I appreciate your insight and hope you have had a wonderful Christmas (so far)! ;) Truthfully, there isn't a whole lot to take away. He doesn't "play"--even when video games & TV are taken away--so there's no need to take away toys. :P I do probably let the small incidents go unpunished, though I try to correct them. I was wondering whether addressing it every day would be advisable. I thought about having him record his efforts and talking about it at the end of the week. Basically, I'm afraid I will forget if we don't make a routine of it!! And I will forbid him from pestering. Yeah, I'm pretty much a natural lecturer. Thanks again for the encouragement and for sharing your strategies!! :)

Entropy said...

We're having a wonderful Christmas season. I've become even more aware of just how fast my kids are growing up. *sigh*

I think addressing it every day is advisable if it happens every day. Maybe since he doesn't really play he'll get an added chore to do every time. You could have your apartment totally re-organized by the New Year! :)

Hope that sweet baby is doing well and you are having a wonderful Christmas aside from this!

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Unfortunately I don't have any good advice since my oldest just turned three. But I just wanted to say that I think that that You're a Better Parent Than You Think book I mentioned previously would be helpful. Best of luck! :)

Literacy-chic said...

Sounds like a book I need! Thanks, Jen! :)

John said...

Thanks for this post. It's difficult to write about the challenges we face with children, especially when it comes to the not-so-fun parts of parenting. Your post confirmed a lot of what I have observed to be true. Thanks, again.

LilyBug

John said...

To clarify - your post affirmed a lot of what I have observed to be true about modeling for children and about becoming a better person for the sake of your children. That's all :)

LilyBug

Literacy-chic said...

If I can be accused of one thing, it is brutal honesty--directed towards myself as much as (if not more than) others.

Literacy-chic said...

I guess the question I really should have been asking is, how brutally honest can we be to children about people and events, particularly other adults? I believe this may be where I have gone too far on occasion.

John said...

In answering your question I think its important to realize that being brutally honest is based on your perspective and so is therefore not completely objective. Children, I would think, do not understand that so they take their parents' words as gospel.

So, in front of children, it's probably better to err on the side of caution. I, for instance, have made a personal insistence not to talk badly about my mother-in-law in front of my child even though a lot of gripes could be termed "brutally honest". I've begun practicing already. I still sound off to my husband and mother when I need to but keep LilyBaby out of it as much as possible. What the goal is, I'm hoping, is that LilyBaby will show repsect to her grandmother because she is her grandmother and, perhaps, bring out a side in her that I have closed myself off to seeing.

When I was in school my mother never talked poorly about a teacher in front of me. I would tell her my grievances but she never sided with me. I found out, many years later, that she was conferencing with these teachers without my knowing. She told me she did this because she did not want me to lose respect for the teacher and her office. I don't know how to feel about that but I can see her rationale, especially now that I'm a teacher myself.

Anyway, I forgot where I was going with all this. My ramblings probably provide no help at all but I hope there is some comfort to you in knowing that we all make mistakes as parents and we just do our best with God's help. Happy New Year.

-LilyBug

Literacy-chic said...

I should probably have said that the brutal honesty/criticism thing has been limited to situations in which he was involved in or privy to some way. As for siding with him rather than the teacher and letting him know it, I don't necessarily have a problem with that. *shrug* It is also possible for an adult to act in such a way that forfeits the child's respect. Showing respect and feeling respect are different things.

Literacy-chic said...

Also, I'm not sure that resolving to be honest with a child is a problem in itself. There are some things that they deserve to know. It gets complex after age or so... when they learn the word "why," and when they realize that adults don't always act respectfully themselves.