Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Things I've Been Thinking About (September Edition)

I realize my posts have been rather slim lately. That's because I've primarily been focused on the dissertation (I'm almost finished the D. H. Lawrence chapter, which will leave only 2 chapters to go--yay!!), the class I'm teaching (we have been discussing Rossetti's "Goblin Market," which is a fun one--they truly enjoy it, which is rare), anything I might want to finish sewing before the new baby comes, and generally staying on top of cooking and cleaning (things I rarely do, but I've been cooking in a renewed effort to economize and by "cleaning" I mean keeping up with tidiness on a day-to-day basis--or almost). You might call it extended nesting. I've been very domestic. :P I'm also a little concerned about the fact that my son wants a Wii for Christmas and there's very little chance that "Santa" will be able to find one. :( At least by itself rather than in a "bundle" for $540. (Lest you think I routinely buy my son $250 Christmas presents, I don't. It would be a "family" present--for ALL of us!--and never the first year out! Generally I wait for prices to go down on game systems, so maybe in 2009. . .)

So what other lofty thoughts have been going through this mind? Well, I'll tell you. . .

1) Harry Potter -- I recently read The Half-Blood Prince when my son checked it out from the school library. I feel slightly guilty about that. I have an ongoing problem with Rowling, and since I have not really seen this one articulated, I will mention it in brief. Basically, it's the goodness or evilness (?) of a given character, and how this personality trait is determined. While Rowling ostensibly resists determinism by giving lip service to how one character could have easily substituted for Harry as the "chosen one," it's not believable. Characters do not really seem to be counted good or evil according to their actions. Whether Harry does good or evil (let's call it "bad," since he is never quite allowed to do evil, just cheating, dark arts spells and the like, which nevertheless go beyond the antics of Fred & George), he is untouchably good. Whether Snape does good or evil, Dumbledore trusts him implicitly, yet the reader is constantly encouraged to judge him as evil (a fact that has bugged me since book 2--I know, I'll read the last book, but the inconsistency is the point). No matter what a Malfoy might do, he's evil (and a little snot, to boot). And yet we are kind of expected to see people as defined by their actions--well, unless you count the bad things that James and Sirius did. Hmmm. . . Well, this Good or Evil predestination or determinism rather comes to a head in Voldemort, who not only does bad things, he is genetically determined to be evil, being last of Slytherin's line and the product of serious inbreeding, a half-blood at that (and resents it) and is raised in an orphanage so he doesn't know nurturing (which means his Slytherin traits really are inbred and not the product of upbringing). Basically, there was never an opportunity for Tom Riddle to say, "You know, I don't think I'll be evil today." And you know what? I find that disturbing.

2) My family is outgrowing our vehicle and our bed. How to fit 2 carseats and a 10-year old in the backseat of a Hyundai Tuscon? Not a clue. And what exactly will we do when a newborn wants to nurse in bed with Momma while a toddler wants to climb in bed for an hour or so? (The bed is a queen and Momma and Daddy aren't really small people.) No, the correct answer isn't turn the toddler out of bed. My husband has speculated that he will be sleeping on the futon in the living room. I don't see that happening. After all, he & I squeezed in a twin with our son when he was a month or so old (long story)! We were arguably a lot smaller then--I know I was, at least!! The toddler bed is making things a lot better, but she still has nights when she isn't comfortable for one reason or another--sometimes gas, sometimes hunger, sometimes overtired or not enough exercise. Who knows? She might go back in her bed more often if I had the inclination to lug 30 lbs. of sleeping toddler across the room, but really, the belly's getting to be enough to carry around! I did read an interesting Mothering article about having a toddler sleep with you--you can find it here. I don't personally like to force young children to sleep in their own beds--or their own rooms. As I see it, they still need us for a while. And if the Von Trapp children hadn't run into Maria's room when they were scared of the storm, we wouldn't have "A Few of Our Favorite Things"!

3) Braxton-Hicks. Lots of them. I don't remember them making it hard to walk. Is this O.K. at this stage?? I realize they get more noticeable each pregnancy, but geez!!

4) Applying for jobs. One in particular. At a Catholic college in Indiana in the middle of nowhere (as far as I can tell). High course load, but it sounds pretty flexible. I could probably end up teaching all over the board--not getting pigeonholed and not teaching theory instead of lit. I can teach theory, but I don't want it to be the focus of my teaching, which means I should go somewhere where I won't have to teach grad students--not really something I feel the need to do anyway. I'm not sure I see the appeal. I mean, really--I wouldn't want to teach someone like me!! ;) But I'm not going to worry about job apps much. I'd love to have a job next year, but I need to do what I'm doing right now without any more distraction than absolutely necessary, and I won't be able to go to major national conference meat market this year anyway (no great loss to my mind).

5) Something morbid (and potentially judgmental) about motherhood in Texas, but I don't really want to write about it or speculate on it. I did once comment to someone--many years ago--that crimes seemed weirder in Texas, or more extreme, or something, and the sheer list of occurrences cited here seems to substantiate that. But the scope of crimes has gotten so weird anyway that I don't know if I would have made that observation today.

6) I love Crocs!!!-- And I'm not terribly worried about them making news recently. We have reached a point recently where each member of the family has a pair of genuine Crocs (imitations can't come close!) and I boast 3 pair. I barely wear anything else. Especially pregnant, and especially since they have relatively "feminine" styles--I don't have the "garden variety" clog (ha ha). But consider this:

According to reports appearing across the United States and as far away as Singapore and Japan, entrapments occur because of two of the biggest selling points of shoes like Crocs: their flexibility and grip. Some report the shoes get caught in the "teeth" at the bottom or top of the escalator, or in the crack between the steps and the side of the escalator.

The reports of serious injuries have all involved young children. Crocs are commonly worn by children as young as 2.

Yup, my baby has a cute little pair of Mary Jane Crocs. But I ask you--which is more unnatural? Having a baby (or even a young child) walk on an escalator (people have gotten stuck in those things before Crocs!), or having her feet wrapped in flexible material that molds to her feet and doesn't restrict her movement? She has yet to have a pair of "traditional" shoes. Because you know what? Bare foot is natural, and soft shoes are the next best thing!!

7) Frequently, I'm thinking about sleep or caffeine. . . Or the fact that my baby will be the first of 3 to be born caffeine-addicted (only by comparison to the other 2). This probably explains why I seem to be unable to come up with anything else I've been thinking about. Bed time!! But anyway, apart from the tired, I've been feeling really well, and I've been better able to keep up with everything that's going on lately than during the entire pregnancy. I'm feeling a bit unwieldy (I'm carrying this baby a bit oddly), but feeling good about where I am right now!

6 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

I just found your blog through a link on "Et tu, Jen?" and wanted to comment on the Braxton-Hicks thing: I'm only 14 weeks pregnant (third pregnancy) and I'm already having them. Boy, they do start sooner each time!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

Melanie Bettinelli said...

About Harry Potter: that bugged me too. I don't want to give any spoilers, but I do think she clarifies many of the more ambiguous moral situations in the final book. Not all of them, though.

One of my biggest problems with the books is related to the issue of determinism, though I can't articulate it as well as you have. It's always bugged me that the powers that be tolerate Slytherin. As if it's just one choice among many. Everyone knows that the nature of people who are chosen to be in Slytherin is to be evil so why do they let it continue to exist?

It doesn't seem like the goal is to rehabilitate the residents of Slytherin or to quarantine them so that they can't harm other students, it's just blatant tolerance of evil for no apparent purpose.

Literacy-chic said...

Aaaah... But not all of Slytherin's students are evil. Perhaps "differently ambitious"--like Slughorn. I almost feel that he has some redeeming qualities. And I admit to having a soft spot for the portrait of Sirius's great-grandfather or whatever, Phineas. He's ornery & crotchety, but sometimes hits the nail on the head, and seems really distressed at Sirius's death. However, once again, the reader is invited (unless she has an ornery streak herself, which I do) to see all of Slytherin as evil. That's really not fair. I wasn't happy with the Hufflepuff residents being the rejects, either. More really should/could have been done with the houses. I really wasn't expecting much in the way of resolution of moral contradictions, I must say, but my expectations are not as high as some. I have enjoyed the books, but I'm not sure my enjoyment outweighs the aggravation... If I ever decide to reread them, I will be in a better place to say!

Jessica,

Thanks for stopping by! I've had the Braxton-hicks since early on, but they're never taken my breath away! I did confirm that everything sounds normal, but yeah! Wow! Congrats on your pregnancy, too!

mandamum said...

I've really enjoyed your blog when I stop by!

Re toddler/bed, do you have room to pull a little bed up next to yours? We managed to squeak a crib mattress next to our bed in our old apartment, and I built it a plywood/2x12 base so that it was the same height as our mattress (on the floor). In our current apartment, we have a toddler bed from IKEA snug up against ours, same height (but dd says the mattress is too hard--and here I thought it was a step up from the rock-hard crib one!). We've also done mat on floor next to bed, for closeness....

Best of luck with pregnancy, upgrading, and thesis!

Literacy-chic said...

Wow! You know, it would be great if she were on the same level as us. As it is, she is on my husband's side of the bed, and the new baby will squeeze into the spot next to my side. Our bed is a little high... Makes me wish that we didn't have our bed frame (one of the only "real" pieces of furniture we own at this point!--you know, not modular from Target.) ;) Thanks for the suggestion!! I wonder if we could make that work... Glad you've enjoyed the blog!

Sarah Reinhard said...

Oooo, Indiana!!! LOVING the idea of you CLOSER!!! :)

And you have my wheels turning about Harry Potter...going to have to read that to Hubby.

Crocs are fabulous. I'm with you as a purist for the real thing. My kiddo grew through two pairs this summer and is working through two more pairs. :)