Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday

Since I'm in Texas (and not in Galveston), Mardi Gras isn't a big deal, though I will be subjecting my students to some Louisiana, New Orleans, and Mardi-Gras-specific images for our continuing discussion of Visual Rhetoric tonight. In lieu of festivities (though I might be persuaded to go to my favorite seafood restaurant for a pre-Lent shrimp-fest), here is a list of 10 things I will NOT be giving up for Lent:

  1. email
  2. blogs (reading and writing)
  3. teaching
  4. grading
  5. writing the dissertation
  6. cooking supper (occasionally)
  7. laundry
  8. Jane Austen DVDs (especially Pride and Prejudice--the A&E version)
  9. SHRIMP! (I did one year and it nearly killed me!)
  10. involvement in my son's education (even if it does kill me!)

Lenten meditations more solemn than this one to follow. . .

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

How could you ever give up shrimp for lent! You're sacrificing something you're allowed to eat!

I love how in New Orleans we have parties on days that we're supposed to be somewhat fasting. Fridays become celebrations rather than a day of sacrificing. There's a topic to blog about ;)

Literacy-chic said...

You see, that was the point. I gave up shrimp because as long as I have shrimp as an option, it was no sacrifice!! In fact, that goes for all seafood, but shrimp is my favorite. As for the celebration, my Mom always said that it didn't seem quite right to turn it into a celebration. Definitely a blog-worthy topic, but one I'm going to leave alone for now!