Monday, February 10, 2014

Fiction Book Club Selections for the Training Department

During a break in this morning's team meeting, I had a great idea.  Thinking about ways to bring what I love to our department, I thought--wow!  Wouldn't it be cool to have a book club!  Given the inclinations of the others in the department, though, I would have to find a way to make sure we didn't drift toward nonfiction.  I know!  We could arrange our selections thematically to correspond with the classes we teach, or topics we promote, or--even better!--to correspond with our "certificate programs," which bring everything together (classes, philosophy, whatever).  Unfortuately, when I started brainstorming, this is what happened:

  • Web Design - Burning Chrome by William Gobson
  • Desktop Publishing - The Waste Land by T. S. Eliot
  • Personal Development - The Hunger Games trilogy
  • Office Administration - "Bartleby, the Scrivener" by Herman Melville
  • Diversity - Beloved by Toni Morrison
  • Communication Styles - Ulysses by James Joyce; Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf; The Stranger by Albert Camus
Yeah... Perhaps I'll wait to propose this.  Indefinitely.