Monday, February 25, 2013

Teaching, Training, Blogging: An Introduction

This blog was created in response to a need. It is a personal need, on the one hand--to negotiate the space between teaching composition and literature, which I was trained to do, and working in training and development, which I am paid to do. The difference is an important one--the mode is different; the vocabulary is different; the expectations are different. And while working in the one area, I would like to keep my finger on the pulse of the other--in part, because I am a trainer at a university, which is sometimes a difficult place to be as an almost-but-not-quite-academic.

On the other hand, I believe that it is also a professional need. Training and teaching are, in many ways, not so different, and can learn from one another. I am grateful to my boss, who actually believed that someone with a Ph.D. who had teaching (but not training) experience could do the job--in this case, software training. I have not always been greeted with the expectation that I was good for anything, and that vote of confidence has been very important to me. But I am very much in a world that is separate from humanities teaching, where my insights are not always directly relevant, and where I gain new insights that could very nicely translate back to the undergraduate classroom.  I wonder if they would be accepted in that arena...

As making connections is what I do, and what I love, I seek to bridge the gap.  I know for certain that there are posts coming on these topics:

  • Classroom communication
  • REALLY using computers/software in composition classes
  • Rhetoric and Communication Styles
  • Personality-type reflections
  • Collaborative course guidelines/class rules