Thursday, March 12, 2009

Catholic Colleges and Orthodoxy

Because the job search wasn't complex enough. . .

I'm starting to think that I have no business applying to Catholic colleges, since one of my concerns is orthodoxy--actual adherence to the Church's teaching, broadly conceived. What kind of battles will I be in for if I go to a school that violates or disregards Church teaching on life issues, ordination of women, and even questions whether it is just to exclude non-Catholics from the Eucharist? Matters of conscience even get tricky at a secular, state school; how much more so if the administration of a Catholic college where I worked were to promote an agenda opposed to Church teaching? And yet, I interview by phone tomorrow with a college that was founded by an order that ABSOLUTELY supports women's ordination. Campus ministry reluctantly acts according to the will of the local bishop in refusing Communion to non-Catholics (not the Vatican, you will notice). I even emailed for clarification on this point, and the tone was one of remorse and sad disagreement. I have no idea how this would influence the tenor of the English department, except that the faculty members list the subjects about which they will willingly be interviewed by the press on their web pages--yes, that's ENGLISH faculty, people. Yet they're hiring for a position that would, essentially, oversee the school's orthodoxy, including screening new hires for willingness to adhere to the school's mission, uphold Catholic identity, etc. This person does not have to be a practicing Catholic.

What to do??

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually don't object to the last point (the person screening orthodoxy not being catholic) because I would be great at that job, and I'm not a practicing catholic. :P

tongue in cheek comments aside, there are trade-offs with working at a Roman Catholic school, because there are so many kinds of Roman Catholic schools.

I'm of two minds. On the one hand, an institution that is catholic but permits non-catholic voices seems like a good thing to me--preferable to one that only allows practicing catholics to work there. On the other hand, an institution that is catholic but actively anti-catholic is just kind of annoying.

The Bradley Clan said...

I have to profess to curiosity about which school this is. I also admit to being somewhat naive, as I have not stopped to consider the implications for myself of much of what you have said here, if what I consider my "ideal job" is to teach at a Catholic university.

John said...

I agreed with your Facebook comment. I think you can be a voice of orthodoxy at a non-orthodox Catholic college. Just be prepared for a lot of arguments or, maybe, just snubs. But, I'd bet you'd find others that are in agreement with you more and more....especially as the Church continues to take a more orthodox turn.

Literacy-chic said...

Anastasia-I agree that there should be non-Catholic voices represented, though not necessarily voices opposed to Catholicism. Is,'t it more productive to stress similarities while acknowledging and appreciating differences? And sometimes context becomes very important. Is the (whatever it is that is insistently contrary or inherently opposed to Catholicism) being represented in the context of Catholic teaching? Or a stand-alone truth? I think there is a lot of misunderstanding on both sides critiquing the state of Catholic schools, but a lot of ambiguity as to what is/should be considered Truth in the context of a Catholic school. I'm hedging a little, yes.

TBC-(you will have to let me know how you like to be addressed on blogs!) It is something that I discovered mostly through the blogs, since I hadn't really given much thought to what it meant to be a "Catholic college/university"--you know, what role the faith designation has/should have in the curriculum and the overall identity, mission, whatever of the school.

C-The comment you're referring to is meant to be a little tongue-in-cheek, though it does apply here. I'm not exactly thinking about going to the school in order to single-handedly convert everyone to orthodoxy. And I don't for one minute think that no one is. I don't even claim to know fully what "orthodoxy" should look like in a higher education setting. But it's a question I'm willing to engage with. There's another blog post coming about the role of a Catholic academic at a Catholic school. . .

Literacy-chic said...

Oh, and Anastasia, I totally think you could be the orthodoxy police. But you're the exception, no? ;)

Literacy-chic said...

On the other hand, an institution that is catholic but actively anti-catholic is just kind of annoying.

And I meant to say. . . PRECISELY!

John said...

No Catholic school believes they are actively anti-Catholic. I know what you mean, though. Usually, when you talk to these people, they do feel justified in what they do and can even argue their points from a theological perspective. I think they see their focus as different...I don't know. I find all this to be quite interesting though. For myself, I am trying to be more orthodox in my beliefs. And this has come from working in a Catholic school.

-C

-C

Literacy-chic said...

What I don't understand, as a convert, is when people inside the Church seem intent on making the Church something *other* than what it IS. The idea that the Church owes us something for being part of it, and should change to accommodate us is problematic. It also shows a deep misunderstanding of the nature of the Church as an institution. You're right, they approach it theologically, but I wonder about the reference point? Is it God, or self? If their interest is in God, but their believe God to be other than what the Church teaches, then why do they cling to their "right" to be Catholic? Of course, we have a very rights-centered culture, so that's part of it.