Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Top Thoughts after Finishing the Ph.D.

  • Okay, so I have a Ph.D. I'm supposed to know stuff. . .
  • So when was I supposed to learn all of the stuff that I am supposed to know?
  • There's a point in any academic career when one has forgotten more than one actually knows at the moment. Is it too early to say I'm there?
  • Oh cr*p! I have to get a job now!
  • Wait, you mean there's a(n intellectual) world outside of this dissertation?
  • Maybe I could sit in on a few graduate courses & get up to speed. No wait. . .
  • You mean other people read books without someone telling them to??
  • Note to self: Come up with new excuse for being a crummy teacher. . .
  • Dr. who are they talking about? Oh, that's me!
  • Now what?
  • The rest of the thoughts have to do with student loans (language not appropriate to this blog. . .)

1 comment:

Melanie Bettinelli said...

Too funny.
I especially like: "So when was I supposed to learn all of the stuff that I am supposed to know?" and "Maybe I could sit in on a few graduate courses & get up to speed. No wait. . ."