Sunday, February 3, 2008

Fall Plans Dashed

I realized with glee recently that next fall my toddler would be the right age to start school at the Montessori school that my son attending from pre-K through 3rd grade. (I consider 3 yrs to be a good age to start preschool.) I called the school and spoke to the headmistress. She was very pleased, asked about my son, and said she would send the application. The application arrived in the mail several days later, I opened it, and my jaw nearly dropped. There is a one-time application fee of $250!!! That's on top of the $100 registration fee and the advance payment of the last month's tuition, which in our case would have been $245 for 3 half-days a week. Surely, I thought, this must be a typo!! I remembered a fee of $25. So I wrote an email and asked. She confirmed that there was, indeed, a $250 application fee, and hoped it would not change my plans. This will indeed change my plans. I can only conclude that she must have needed to institute that fee to limit applicants. I understand about the last months' tuition, the supply fees, and the registration fees, but had I had to pay $350 for merely applying and registering in addition to the last month's tuition (which in our current case would have been $245 for 3 half-days), I would never have been able to send my son in the first place, and he would have missed a wonderful experience because of it. I am assuming that we simply don't have the income level of most of the families who currently attend that school. And I told her so. In no uncertain terms. Perhaps that is the point. But this makes me very sad, as I can't imagine an alternative that would be as attractive. Clearly, my selectivity is exceeding my income. :(

3 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Well that's just awful! Seriously, what a bummer! You know they don't need $250 to peruse an application...application fees have always annoyed me so much...I'll grumble and pay my $25 fees here and there, but seriously! It's horrible when a school starts catering to a certain economic class and closes doors on kids who could benefit from this kind of learning and do so well with it. Makes me angry, I can only imagine how y'all feel.

LilyBug said...

Have you asked about a fee waiver? Most institutions devoted to educating children for the sake of education (and not for the sake of being snooty) offer these - especially when the fees are exhorbitant, as this one sure seems to be.

Literacy-chic said...

Thanks for commiserating, Chris! The owner/headmistress assured me that she was not "catering to the rich," and I'm certain does not wish to be seen that way. But she did not *offer* a waiver, either, and I gave her every opportunity to do so, as I buttered her up a bit, mentioning my son's wonderful experience and how I recommend her school to everyone I know. It's a small school, and I'm sure she feels like she can justify the fee, and she knows that there are people who will pay it. I was just hoping that because she knew me and has seen the kind of children I produce. .. But no. :(